Wattpad Original
There is 1 more free part

Ch. 17: Silent Wolves

BROOKE

"Stop," I said, and it was the hardest word I'd ever spoken. I didn't want him to stop. I wanted him to go on and on until the mountain crumbled and the moon disappeared. But I was hyper-aware of the fact that Titan was only a wall away, and the risk of discovery had never been greater.

Huck slowly lowered me to my feet, but instead of moving away, he bent, joining our mouths in a kiss more tender than any he'd given me before. His hands trailed down my sides, outlining my shape, until he reached the hem of my nightgown. He gathered the material into his fingers and slowly lifted.

Cool air caressed my skin. I'd told him to stop. Did he want me to say it twice? I didn't think I could. "Huck?" I breathed shakily.

He broke the kiss and straightened as he pulled it over my head. "This is mine now," he murmured. "You should get some sleep."

"You're leaving?"

"I'm right next door."

"Oh."

Tense seconds passed. I was standing in his way. But no matter how many times my brain sent the command, my body refused to let him go.

A half-hum, half-growl echoed inside his chest. "Don't tempt me, Your Grace."

"I'm not trying to."

"Then goddess help me if you ever did." Huck picked me up by my waist, depositing me aside as if I weighed nothing at all. Then he opened the door, and a stream of light spilled in from the hallway. He hesitated, taking a long look over his shoulder at my lacy, black underwear.

I held my breath, skin tingling wherever his eyes touched. There was a longing inside of me that had nothing to do with my wolf, gravity, or some supernatural nudge. It was every conversation we'd ever had, the way he smiled, the person he was. "I'm sorry I wore the nightgown," I whispered.

Huck's jaw twitched. "The next time you wear it, my mark will be on your neck."

* * *

The next morning, Titan took me to a coffee shop closer to the center of the city, where they had lattes with foam shaped like teddy bears and pastries so fresh they burned my tongue.

I'd just finished my last bite when Titan pulled out his wallet and slid a charge card across the table. "I'm going to be in meetings for the rest of today, but I want you to enjoy the city."

"How long will you be? Should I meet you at the hotel or—"

"There's a club three blocks from the hotel. I thought we might have some fun later. I'll text you the address...if that's alright with you."

I hesitated, imagining loud music, flashing lights, and zero personal space. We didn't have clubs on the mountain, and even if we did, Mother would rather cut off my feet than allow me to step into one. "How should I dress?"

Titan grinned. "What about the dress you wore last night?"

My bodyguard stripped it off me and still hasn't given it back. "That was a nightgown."

"Indeed." His smile stretched. "I have no doubt anything you wear will look stunning. But if you prefer not to go, I'm sure we can find other things to do."

I didn't like his tone, and I was sure Huck liked it even less. "I think I'd like to experience a club."

"Good." He tossed two bills down on the table, put his wallet away, and stood. "Then, if you'll excuse me, I'll see you later tonight. Feel free to buy whatever you want. There's no limit; I just want you to have a nice time."