Chapter 7- Calm Before the Storm

.
.
.

For the first time, he smiled. And meant it.

Your eyes wandered up to his lips, studying the way his face moved. He was vulnerable, content.

And that enchanted you.

You wrapped your arms around him. He became your warmth once again. The warmth in the bitterness of his home. Like a lighthouse in the storm.

His arms secured you into his grip. You never wanted him to let go.

"Do you see me?" He asks.

You hum before separating from him, looking him up and down. "I see you for you. That either makes me incredibly loyal," you say with a smile, "or incredibly stupid."

He grins and cups the side of your face. His hands were fonder than before, feeling the soft skin of your face.

"I'd argue that it's the former." He admires your countenance, like he would a piece of artwork in a gallery. "You truly are beautiful."

You laugh before separating from him with a sigh, your expression turning sour. "What have I gotten myself into..."

"Having doubts?" The man asks, intrigued.

You shake your head. "How many people... have you killed?" The question stings at your heart. You weren't sure if you wanted to know.

"Enough." He simply states. "You seem cold. Allow me to take you back upstairs."

You nod and walk beside him. Just before he reaches the stairs he stops to turn to you. "I'm proud of you."

Your face contorts in confusion, and strange flattery. "For what?"

He turns back around, leading the way to the light upstairs. "For choosing correctly."

You glance to the floor as you think about the statement. Of course you chose him.

You frown at a sudden realisation. "Were you testing my loyalty to you?" You interrogate as you close the door behind you.

He pulls a set of keys out of his back pocket. Twisting the key in the lock with a click, he apologises. "Forgive me. I didn't mean to upset you."

You shake your head. "It's okay..."

He turns and smiles at you before walking to the other room, not giving the interaction any more thought.

The same could not be said for you.

_________________________________________

The next day, you went to work and had the chance to speak with Abel Gideon. He was... interesting, to say the least. Will had spoken to him the day before, seemingly not getting anything useful out of him either.

Though, he didn't talk much about what he did ascertain from the man.

"Good morning, Will."

Speak of the devil.

He half-turned to you as he browsed over some paperwork. He didn't seem pleased by whatever it was.

"Morning." He greets, lucidly.

You furrow your brows as you try to look over his shoulder to the sheets. "What you looking at?"

He sighs and hands you the paper as you take a seat beside him. "Freddie Lounds."

You groan at the mere mention of the name. She'd been terrorising you and your colleagues for months on her trashy crime blog. It was tasteless.

"What's she written this time?" You ask with a sigh, skimming the pages. She'd managed to sneak photos of both you and Will, writing some unsavoury nonsense underneath it.