Chapter 37 Pint of Pines

Zoe

---

"Yes. I do believe they exist. But I think in temperament they are just like humans. Some are bad and some are not."

We sat in silence for a long time after my words. The atmosphere between us was weird. It was uncomfortable and that definitely was a first.

I thought several times that maybe I should say something along the lines of 'maybe you're right', just to ease up the tension. But I couldn't say that. Even though I knew I would only say it to smooth things over and I was sure he would understand that, I just couldn't. It would be such a blatant lie and though I hid many things, it was impossible for me to hide my core. And judging by the reluctance on his face, he seemed to be thinking along the same lines.

"Come on," he finally said and stood up. "We need to get going so we're not late for dinner."

"Okay," I answered and followed.

We walked for maybe five minutes in silence before we spoke.

"Where are we..." I started.

"We're almost..." he said at the same time.

We looked at each other and smiled. The tension finally broken. I indicated to him to continue.

"We're almost there," he finished his sentence. "It's a pub called Pint of Pines. It's my and Alex's usual place."

"Okay."

"They have pretty homey food mainly. They make a killer vegetarian lasagna. Don't think they have much else vegetarian though."

"Lasagna sounds nice," I smiled at him.

We rounded a corner and there it was. It had a wooden sign hanging out from the wall with the words Pint of Pines carved into it and circled by what seemed to be several pine cones. Felix opened the door for me and the atmosphere was just like the sign had suggested. Warm, homey, and rustic. The furniture was big and wooden and generally there were dark colors all around. But it also had a happy atmosphere to it that made it so that the interior didn't seem too heavy.

Felix led me to a table a bit in. It had four chairs and Alex already sat on one of them.

"Hi!" she smiled and stood up as we got closer. Her eyes solely focused on me. "Was such a hastened intro the last time, so let's do it again. I'm Alex!"

She held her hand out for me to take.

"I'm Zoe," I answered and shook her hand. That day she was dressed in ripped jeans and a red loose-fitting top. She looked so perfect and I instantly felt inferior.

"So you gotta tell me all your secrets on how to get a man. I mean you managed to get Felix completely hooked over just a cup of coffee." She sat down again and laughed at her own words.

"Alex, you promised to be on your best behavior," Felix reprimanded her, but she just rolled her eyes.

"Come on. Don't be like that. And I'm kinda serious! I wish I could get a man that easily."

"Sometimes you just know," I said and she made a gagging sound.

"What? Soulmates and shit? Please. That only happens in fairytales."

I could already see what Felix had meant by his description of Alex and what had caused his hesitance for me to meet her. But even though we had just exchanged a few words I already found her refreshing. The inferiority I had felt when seeing her, already forgotten.

As honest as I wanted to be with Felix, I wasn't and I knew that he wasn't neither. And at home with the coven, the other witches always made me cautious of knifes aimed at my back or Father's throat. 

I had a feeling of that if Alex would ever want to stab anyone, she would do it to their face and tell them exactly why beforehand. That honesty though, also likely made her able to make anyone feel included and welcomed in an instance. I, for one, had thought the dinner would be awkward, at least to start with. But it definitely wasn't.

"You don't think life ever can be like in a fairytale?" I asked.

"Bullshit! Definitely not. And even if it could, I'm glad my life isn't. Women in fairytales are always either sleeping while waiting for their prince, or they are evil stepmothers."

I laughed.

A waitress came up to us and asked for our orders. I hadn't looked at the menu, but also didn't bother. I just ordered the vegetarian lasagna. Felix ordered a burger and Alex a steak.

"And to drink?" the waitress asked next.

"How about a pitcher of the lager?" Alex asked us.

"Sounds good?" Felix asked me.

"Sure," I answered and tried to stop the redness that I knew spread on my cheeks, but knowing I failed miserably at that.

I had never thought about different things that I didn't know about, but as I spent more time with Felix, it became obvious that there was a lot. Of course I knew about beer. I had definitely been around enough for that. However, I had never tried it, I had never really had any alcohol. At some rituals with the coven, we drank wine. But then it was one sip and that was it and that was the most I had ever had at one occasion.

Alcohol scared me, that was the plain and simple truth. I had seen others lose control of themselves while drunk and well, the worst they did usually involved sleeping with someone they shouldn't or putting some minor hex on another. If I lost control... I didn't even want to think about how many dead bodies there might be. So I had stayed far away from alcohol.

I didn't want to admit that though. Felix had been surprised enough yesterday when I hadn't known what food to order. I just didn't want to feel even more inadequate.

"Make sure to bring water also," Felix added to the waitress before she left and inwardly I sighed with relief.