Wattpad Original
There are 19 more free parts

Ch. 10: Not Deliberately A Dick

I opened my eyes to morning sunlight streaming through a crack in the windows. Yesterday almost seemed like a dream – had I really played table tennis and chess with Finn Donovan?

Yes.

Yes, I had.

A silly grin spread across my face.

I showered and dressed as quickly as I could before hurrying to the kitchen. There was no sign of Finn, and I felt a sharp stab of disappointment. I busied myself with making coffee, then breakfast, and I was halfway through my toast when the living room door opened, and Finn came in, shaking snow from his hair. The basket that usually sat near the stove was balanced on his hip, filled with fresh logs.

"We were running low," he said.

I waited for him to smile or show any sign of the bond we'd started building yesterday, but Finn had trouble meeting my eyes. He set the basket down, banked up the fire, and made himself a coffee without saying a word.

"Did you sleep okay?" I asked.

Cliched maybe, but I didn't know what else to say. A lump of hurt and confusion was forming in my chest.

Finn grunted.

So we were back here, with him treating me like an intruder. His back was to me so he couldn't see the evil look I gave him. Maybe I should throw my mug at the back of his head. That would get his attention.

Finn left the room while I was still considering assault by coffee.

Any other time I'd have called Camden to get her opinion, but I didn't want Jude to end up in the middle of this, torn between his friend and his sister-in-law. I didn't even know what this was.

I couldn't call Lily either, not without telling her everything, and I really wasn't in the mood for that conversation again.

I passed the morning by exploring the games room, dicking around on my phone, and helping myself to more cinema snacks. If I kept this up, I might need to visit Finn's gym after all.

On my way to the kitchen at lunchtime, I heard his voice coming from the room, and irritation bristled beneath my skin. The house was starting to feel suffocating again, as if, no matter how big it was, I couldn't get enough space. I was fed up with walking up and down this hallway, heading from room to room while I tried to occupy myself. After the way he'd acted this morning, I was in no mood to be ignored by Finn again; I was about to backtrack, when the strain in his voice made me pause.

"Yeah, I know," he said.

A few beats of quiet passed. I had no idea who he was talking to.

"I didn't choose to be snowed in," he said.

I really shouldn't eavesdrop, but I crept closer to the kitchen anyway.

Finn sighed. "Mum," he said, and that one word sounded exhausted. "If this snow is still here at Christmas, there's literally nothing I can do."

My irritation softened.

I knew from Camden that Jude didn't have a great relationship with his adoptive parents, and though she'd said it had nothing to do with his fame, I had to wonder if fame did sometimes put a strain on family life. I knew little about Finn's family, only that his parents were still together and he had an older brother. I couldn't remember the brother's name though, and he'd always avoided the limelight.

Finn's voice got louder; he was coming this way.

I scuttled backwards and around the corner.

Finn strode into the foyer, and though I could no longer see him, he must have stopped there, because I still hear his voice, slightly more echoey in that space than it had been in the kitchen.