05 | Greek God

Hello hello my friends!  Buckle up, literally, because this chapter has us sitting in a car hehe

Please vote!

Chapter 05: Greek God

Luke's black jeep wrangler took a left turn through suburbia at a terrorizing speed despite my constant screeches for him to slow down. Finally, it did slow down for a hitchhiker holding a penguin blanket on the sidewalk.

The hitchhiker came running towards us, "THE RESCUE PARTY'S HERE!"

The jeep's windows were rolled down, so his voice rang loud and clear.

Luke's right hand was on the steering wheel and his left arm rested on the windowsill. His fingers tapped the car's edge as he stared straight ahead, and I nervously glanced over at him.

Watching Luke was like admiring a statue: an ancient Greek god in a lifelike, teenage boy's body. His clouded eyes and dark lashes.  The late afternoon shadows played on his chiseled jawline, accentuating the sharp contours of his face.

Props to his Creator.

Austin's head poked through the open window in the passenger seat and I jumped in surprise, having been so preoccupied staring at Luke.

"Who died?" Austin asked, sensing the somber mood in the car.

He was used to more of a hero's welcome.

Luke glanced over at his best friend and made a subtle nod of his head, indicating for Austin to get in the car.

The blackmailer's box sat like a bad omen on the car floor next to my foot.  I didn't want to touch it. 

Austin squinted at Luke, sensing something wasn't right. He then handed me my blanket, "I kept the cheese."

Happy to see my favorite blanket safely in my hands, it took a second for Austin's words to sink in.

"Cheese," I repeated excitedly, "CHEESE!"

"Yeah, no more cheese," Austin confirmed.

"NO, it's the CHEESE!" I tapped Luke's arm, shaking his shoulder, "You see! That's proof there was cheese on the beach and the knife was for the cheese!"

"Obviously," Austin nodded.

Luke tried to keep a straight face but as he looked at my manic shaking of his shoulder, my screams of 'cheese' and then over at Austin who looked in complete agreement, he couldn't help but smile.

Luke's lips curled upwards as he cracked a reluctant smile and, slowly, that smile widened.

The Greek God smiles.

I smiled in return and leaned forward to kiss his smooth cheek.

**

"What's the plan?" Austin's head popped into the space between Luke and me.

Luke continued to drive, not wanting to engage in our rescue mission in the first place. I, sitting in the passenger seat, felt like this was my calling in life.

Step two in the Romeo & Juliet love story that was Mission Austerra.

And I was Friar Laurence, the priest that marries them and plays a key role in their secret plans.

And Luke could be.... Mercutio. Romeo's close friend whose death is a turning point in the story. Either that or the nurse. He can pick. I made a mental note to ask Luke his preference later.