10 | First Impressions

Please vote!  And please enjoy... this one's mysterious...

Chapter 10: First Impressions

What did I do to find my soulmate at seventeen years old?

I've never placed so much of myself in someone else before. Luke controls the weather in my brain. When he laughs, the clouds disappear, and his kisses are like rays of sunlight in so much fog.

I know it's not healthy.

But I'm sick, and he's my medicine.

Curled up in his arms, I glanced down at the blackmailer's box discarded on the floor by the passenger seat.

Too much medicine... and it becomes poison.

My ear was resting against Luke's chest and if I closed my eyes and paid attention, I could hear his heartbeat. Slow and steady.

I was sitting on his lap, legs swung over on one side. His strong, left arm lay lightly on my knees and his right arm was my back support, keeping me steady against him. I was so comfortable, we could stay here for hours. I didn't want to be anywhere else.

"Come on," Luke murmured, "If we leave Austin there any longer, there won't be food left for the rest of us."

I groaned and hid my head further against his chest, inhaling the fresh laundry scent of his pressed shirt.

"I thought our love was enough?" I asked, only a smidge melodramatically.

He chuckled, brushing the hair out of my face, "It's not, Minnie. I can't eat our love."

Why not?

I heard the click of the car door opening and realized he must've pushed it open with his left hand. A few seconds later, I suddenly felt his hands around my body, as I was being lifted into the air. He extended his feet out of the car and held me like a baby in his arms.

Bridal style is probably the more romantic version.

One hand under my knees and the other around my back, he raised me up and his hand protected my head from touching the car door as he carried me out.

If we got married one day, maybe this is how he'd pick me up and take me to our new home. Somewhere that wasn't 4 Dupont Avenue.

Or maybe we could take number 5 if the neighbors moved out...

I shuddered at the thought of living next to my mom and Doz for the rest of my life. Or having Mr Dawson as my father-in-law living disapprovingly across the street, forever.

Luke lowered me onto my feet, and I released my arms from around his neck, "We need to get out of this town."

Luke chuckled, "What?"

"One day. We need to get out," I repeated, as we walked up to the front door, holding hands.

"Trust me Minnie," Luke tightened his grip on my hand, "I'm working on it."

We slowed our pace as we arrived at O'Conner's door. Luke glanced at me with a knowing, almost sad, expression and I cracked a half smile back at him.

Our hands released and Luke banged his fist against the front door, shoving it open.

"O'Conner!" he called out, transforming into the confident Luke everyone sees him to be, "You owe me a burger."

**

"Dawson, my brother, you're late!" O'Conner exclaimed as he approached us, looming over us both with his gigantic height.