Chapter 5

Amelia

The ocean's blue seemed so alluring that I wanted to dive into it but I couldn't. The fear of drowning myself kept me where I was lying on the towel over the sand. I had been here for an hour since the sunrise, with hopes of sketching the beauty of the ocean and capturing it forever in the papers to remember.

However, the paper and pen were lying on the sand beside me, untouched for a while now. The more I looked at the water, the more I wanted to fulfill my dream of swimming in the ocean. It felt like the water that glimmered like a sapphire was calling me but with no little knowledge about swimming had me bound to the ground.

People were now spread out on the beach, men, women, and kids laughing and enjoying, gone was the silence. There was a couple that was in front of me and the way they were together with each other made me long for something that I once had. The feelings were that was all that mattered. The way he had made me feel, the warmth I felt when he just stared at me, the way he would touch me, call my name, kiss my cheeks. I closed my eyes shut. The memories were drowning me.

His touch on my arms, the gentle caressing, his fingertips tracing delicate patterns on my skin, it was as if he could read my soul with his touch. All those smiles that he brought to my lips, the butterflies that I felt just from his presence, and the way he had lit up my world. The memory of those moments washed over me like the gentle waves lapping at the shore. I missed the feelings that it ignited inside of me more than I could put into words.

As I continued to watch the ocean, I couldn't help but feel a sense of longing and nostalgia. The sight of the couple in front of me, their love so palpable, only intensified my yearning for what I had thought I once had. I knew I had been tricked into thinking that kind of love had once been mine but now it felt like a distant memory, fading with each passing day.

The love and the care, though a hoax was something I craved. However, I knew that all this longing was nothing but a weak moment of mine that I still couldn't get rid of.

Time and again I would be either haunted or enchanted by the memories of the past. The feelings appeared and disappeared time and again with me having no control over them. I could tell my mind to stop; to not to remember but my heart and soul were the victims of what they had done to me. Some days they wanted a taste of that sham of the love and care they had but how could I give them that without thinking about the consequences that had followed?

The self-doubt he had left me, and they all had left me with made me fear from love. My heart had mended as much as it could and whatever was left of my soul

I reached for the paper and pen beside me, to capture this moment of longing and beauty on the page just in a different manner. Maybe, in some small way, I could preserve the essence of this place and my emotions. I began to sketch the ocean, its vastness, and depth in a new design, trying to convey the allure that had drawn me to it. Each stroke of the pen was a reflection of my inner turmoil, a silent cry for the love that was nothing less than a sham but yet it had felt so real.

"I love your eyes," he whispered as my hand massaged his calf muscle.

"There is nothing much to love about them," I gave him a small smile as my hands worked up and down his legs. He shook his head in denial with a small smile on his lips.

"Not if you see from my eyes," his hand stopped mine by holding it in place. "They look as if honey is trapped in amber, capturing the sun's warmth on a summer day," he continued, his gaze fixed on her eyes as if he were trying to convey the depth of his admiration. I blushed slightly at his poetic compliment, my fingers gently tracing circles on his calf.

"You have quite the way with words," I replied, my voice softening. "But I still think you're seeing them through rose-colored glasses." He chuckled, his grip on my hand tightening ever so slightly.