chapter nineteen

A hundred miles into our homeward bound journey, we stop in the strangest little town that purports itself to be the origin of the historic Route 66. And, based, on the decor, the inspiration behind my brother's favorite Pixar movie: there are cars everywhere, their windshields painted to look like eyes.

"This is Seligman, Arizona," Dylan says, pulling into a parking lot and killing the engine. "This town was placed on the National Register of Historic Places thanks to its Commercial Historic District, which is right where we are." He spreads his hands and gets out, yanking on the sliding door to release us.

"We've got some time here – about forty minutes before we need to get back on the road," Dylan says. "I encourage you to explore the town and grab a bite to eat, 'cause when we get back in the van, it'll be about two and a half hours before we stop at the Hoover Dam, probably four hours total before we're back to Vegas. So make the most of Seligman." He points across the road and says, "If you want a recommendation, the chorizo burger from Delgadillo's is fantastic, and if you're not in the mood for food, you gotta at least try one of their shakes."

We hit traffic coming out out of the Grand Canyon so a journey that should've been one hour forty ended up two hours and fifteen minutes and my meager cafe lunch hasn't hit the spot. My mouth waters at the sight of Delgadillo's Snow Cap Drive-In, a quirky burger joint slash malt shop that looks like it has jumped straight out of the fifties. My body and brain are kind of overwhelmed with feelings right now, after the breakdown I had with Leila, and all I can safely focus on is my hunger.

"I'm gonna grab something to eat," I say to Kitty. "Want to come?"

"Sure, I could go for a shake."

"Ooh, me too," Leila says. "But then we have to check out the rest of this place because it's so fucking weird and I am digging it."

It is weird. Kitsch to the highest degree, from the Volkswagon bug outside of The Motoporium to the Roadkill Cafe, to the rusty orange truck outside Seligman Sundries, a teal-colored store with bright yellow signs offering up coffee in various languages. Everything here is geared around the Route 66 theme. Road trips and nostalgia and a hefty nod to Radiator Springs. Old-school Americana that makes me weirdly wistful for a time I never knew. I also have a strong urge to watch Cars.

The outdoor eating area behind Delgadillo's Snow Cap is filled with more retro cars. I take a ton of photos and send them all to Campbell Soup. Isaac will love this. It's not yet nine back home, so he will be making the most of his last fifteen minutes of phone time, and my phone's blowing up with his replies in an instant.

omg!!! WHERE ARE YOU FLITTY!!!

that's tater!!! from cars!

it's a real place???

I tell him what Dylan told us on the way over here: the movie is based on this town! i'm in seligman arizona (on the way back to vegas) and it's super cool, you'd love it!

I send him a bunch more photos, reveling in a rare moment of my little brother's interest, and I accidentally attach a couple of photos Leila sent me earlier – before the truth came out. One of Kitty and me with our champagne glasses at the bottom of the canyon, gazing at each other like a couple in love; the other is us sitting with our backs to the camera at sunset, my head on her shoulder and the romantic light casting a halo around us. Shit. Leila's right. A lot of our pictures look like they're straight out of a honeymoon album. I quickly send a few more so it looks less suspicious – some of the views, some with Leila in the picture – but when Mom comes online, it's only the first two she reacts to with a heart.

Privately, she says, thinking of you. beautiful pictures by the way, looks like you and kitty have gotten even closer <3

I glance up before I reply. Kitty's slurping a milkshake, camera in her other hand as she lines up each shot of the kooky cars and the bizarre decor and the bright colors. I'll get her in front of the camera the moment I've finished my burger. This place screams Kitty core. Colorful and unusual and fun.