JUST A NORMAL DAY OF SCHOOL

You guys are probably a bit lost by how things ended up like that, so let's rewind a little bit back to the beginning of this particular tale. It's the Fall of 2023, summer break just came to an end and it's time to go back to school. In a colossal multi-storey house somewhere in Woluwé Saint-Lambert, we meet one of the main characters of this story.

"Sara, you're almost running late. Can't you eat any faster?" the girl's mother cautions her. "We Bloomaerts can't afford to come across as tardy."

Sara Bloomaert, the only child of Natalia and Marc Bloomaert—the cofounders of Bijouteries Bloomaert. Making use of their unique and well refined ice abilities, they produce marvelous jewelry that are arguably the best in the whole country. Like her parents, Sara also possesses ice powers and beautiful dark skin. She's of average height, for a 16 year old girl, and she's currently dressed in her school uniform and her hair in braids.

"You should listen to your mother," Sara's father supports his wife. "It won't look good if you're late on the first day back to school."

"Plus, if she insists on picking up her..." Natalia takes a short pause. "... boyfriend," she blurts out with a tint of disappointment in her tone, "she has to be ready in time."

"I'm already done eating," Sara defends herself as she hands over her plate to the maid and picks up her bag. "You don't need to worry, I won't be late."

She kisses both parents on the cheeks before leaving through the front door and walking into the back seat of one of the family's many cars where their personal chauffeur is waiting. The teen instructs the man to stop at her lover's home before taking her to school and he obediently agrees.

"Yes ma'am," he responds as he starts the car.

* * * *

A few meters away from the Bloomaert residence, in a much more 'modest' apartment, lives another relevant character—Aaron (Sara's boyfriend). Unlike his significant other, his family isn't in any way influential, so his last name doesn't matter. He's a zegen too and his power is shadow manipulation. I know, spooky, right? He's white with dyed black hair and he's 16, like Sara.

As Aaron gets ready to leave, his phone suddenly vibrates as a message comes in. He opens it to see that it's from Sara.

'I'm downstairs already.'

"Oh shit!" he exclaims as he looks at the time and realizes that he's running late. He grabs his bag and rushes to the living room fridge to take a bread bun, which he immediately stuffs down his throat. "I have to go, Rob. Sara's waiting for me downstairs," he tells the man in a suit that's reading a newspaper on the couch.

Rob is Aaron's foster father and sole care taker. Unlike his adoptive son, Rob is actually a normal.

"Ok, but don't forget that I'll be working late hours at the office tonight, so you can order a pizza or something as dinner if you get hungry," Rob replies. "I left some cash in the kitchen cupboard in case you need some."

"Ok, thanks." He quickly leaves and rushes down eight flights of stairs, completely forgetting the building has an elevator. When he gets down, he meets Sara waiting at the front desk. "I'm so sorry," Aaron apologizes as he gently kisses her on the lips.

"It's no big deal." She blushes as she turns around and starts towards the door. "Do we still need to pick up Mathéo?"

"No. He said something about finding his own way to school today," he answers as he joins her in the back seat of her car and they drive away. "I wasn't exactly in the mood to ask him what he meant by that."

* * * *

"Please. I need a ride to school," the boy begs his elder brother. "Can't you help your favorite brother anymore?"