XXVII

I don't think any of us really tasted the lunch that Cook had prepared to take our minds off things. And yet, I'm sure it was worth it.

I saw Lin discreetly slip something into Kris's herbal tea and I didn't say anything when I saw the little brother take a nosedive.

I took him in my arms and put him to bed. Lin followed me and asked Baby Jane if she could stay with Kris.

- Just to keep an eye on him?

- Yes, Baby Jane, and to make him drink what I put in his herbal tea so that he goes back to sleep.

- What was that, by the way? I asked.

- A mix of plants. I will make tablets so you always have some in your pharmacy.

- What mix?

Yes, I'm curious. She watched me as I took off Kris's boots, pants, and socks and pushed him under the covers.

- Valerian, hawthorn, passionflower and a little bit of opium. Baby Jane, here is the bottle of the mix. Put a drop in a glass of water and let him drink. The opium might dehydrate him a little.

- There is no risk with opium and his allergies?

- He is less allergic than Erik, since the latter has always healed him. But this opium is natural. The only risk could be addiction, but not with this quantity.

- And you're going to keep him drugged every d... every night?

- If necessary, yes. I can't risk him going haywire. And then, when the sniper gets here, I want Kris half-asleep. Because... you will see, she added with an almost sadistic smile.

- Oh...Lin...

- All in good time, Tugdual.

Two hours later, as night began to fall, Curly arrived, quite angry at being so late but delighted to get rid of his prisoner. Lin sent them to shower and eat, and she, Fatso and I looked at the guy who had seriously injured Tito, forced Erk to go under the radar and disappear, and broke up our patrol. He looked beat up, so Fatso went to get Doc.

Before looking at the enemy, Doc asked Lin for news.

- Kris is sleeping in his room, Baby Jane is watching him. Erik and Tito... The last we heard, Tito was injured and not Erik and the latter... We don't know. But since he would be able to hide a serious injury not to worry Kris... Well, according to the comms, and Mac's investigation, he was running east, carrying Tito. So we can assume he's doing pretty well. Can you look at the bast... The son of... the bad guy who started all this?

- I can. But can I know why?

Lin pinched the bridge of her nose and took a deep breath through it.

- In a world where I would have no scruples, in a world where Erik's life would be at stake and where the information that man holds would allow him to be saved, I would hang him by his balls or his guts to soften him up a little, then I would question him. In this world, where I wouldn't be able to look Erik in the eyes if I did that, I'd like to hang him by the wrists in the small room and let him marinate all night before presenting him to Kris.

- I see. Who hit him, so you need my expertise?

- Nobody. That fucking idiot tripped over his tripod and broke his face, according to Mac. I believe her.

- Yes. She is trustworthy. OK, I'll look at this and tell you what you can do without killing him.

She turned to the guy who was conscious, gagged, and looking at us.