Electric Touch

I never thought I would say this, but I loved living with Charles. When he was home, he had to get up early to train, but later, he loved slow mornings like me. After a run around the town, he liked to sit at the kitchen island, having breakfast while reading the paper. Sometimes, he was so "old", but I started loving his little perks. 

That morning, we were having breakfast together, the three of us. Chiara was sitting on his lap, drinking her bottle, while we sipped our coffees. 
«I admit, your friend Carola is funny.» he said, out of the blue.
He told me that they had been texting since his birthday. It was the first chance we had to chat since he had been busy with racing.

«After we get back from Brazil, I'll go to Berlin to hang out with her. She is busy with work and can't travel. So, if the mountain won't go to Mohammed, then Mohammed must go to the mountain»
That sentence stung me like an angry wasp. «I'm happy for you. But that weekend we have dinner at your mother's house, won't you miss it?»
«Don't worry, I will be back in time»

We spent the day packing for Sao Paulo. I liked that now I had the chance to travel the world with him.
«We shouldn't bring Chiara. It is a long flight and it will stress her out. I think we learnt our lesson the last time we brought her with us. I'm sorry she cried the whole time. The time difference tires her too much. She'll stay with my mom, but you're more than welcome to come if you like»

I had never been to a Grand Prix alone with him. My heart skipped a beat and my cheeks turned red. A million thoughts came to mind. I stared at the empty suitcase in front of me. Charles passed his hand before my eyes, as to check if I was listening to him.
«Sure, I'd love to. I've never been to Brazil» I told him.
«I'm sorry you won't get the chance to explore the city. We have a packed weekend. I bet you will love the track, it's one of my favourites»

After a flight that I believed to be infinite, we arrived in sunny Sao Paulo. The car ride felt the same. Once we got to our hotel, there was a mixup with the reservations: we were going to share a room. We had never shared a room before. At home, I slept in the guest room with Chiara. All the other times I went to a Grand Prix, I had my room: Chiara still woke up at night and we didn't want to stress Charles, he needed all the rest possible during the weekend.

«I swear that this never happened before. I'm sorry the hotel is fully booked, every team is staying here 'cause it's the closest to the track»
My heart was racing. I had to calm down. I couldn't share a room with him, not after I realized that I had feelings for him. I told him I was going to find another accommodation in another hotel.
«No way. Who knows where you'll find a room if you find it? Every hotel is full. I can't risk having you sleep God knows where.»
He was right. It was just for a few nights. But fate wasn't on my side that weekend, because our room had just one bed.

On Thursday we went to the track for press day. I tried to avoid him. Even if it was just interviews, I didn't want to bug him. Somehow, every free moment he had he spent it with me. He tried to make me a part of it. He didn't care if they photographed us together. He would say that I was just his friend and move on.

That night I was exhausted. All I wanted to do was lie down and rest. On the elevator, we both reached to press the button and our hands brushed against one another. I felt his electric touch on my skin and quickly put my hands in my pockets.
«Is everything ok? - he asked - You've been weird all day»
Yeah sure, everything is ok. Small thing I might be falling in love with you and I feel my heart explode every time you are near, I thought.
«I'm just tired, that's all»

The whole weekend went on that way. Every time he glanced at me or touched my arm or hand, I would turn red and look the other way. But at night, in the dark of our room, I was sure he couldn't see my embarrassment. Sleeping next to him was a whole new experience. His warmth reached me even if we put a few pillows between, just to be sure. He didn't snore or move too much. Sunday morning I woke up before him. As I opened my eyes I could see his arms around me: I quickly put the pillows back in their place and turned, giving him my back. I pretended to be asleep and waited for him to wake up.

Before the race, as the drivers prepared to get in their cars, I was in the hospitality with Isa, Carlos' girlfriend. We became close friends when I started to hang out in the paddock. She is great with the baby and helps me with her when we're together. That day I decided to tell her the news.

«I knew it was going to happen, sooner or later. Everybody sees how you two look at each other. I think Charles might also have a crush on you»
«Sorry to tell you this Isa, but you're wrong - I told her - He has a crush on my friend Carola. They met at his birthday party and keep texting. He is going to Berlin just to have a date with her. I don't have a chance. To him, I will always be the friend he's stuck raising a child with»

She reassured me that every one noticed the chemistry between us. It was just a matter of time until he realized that he felt something too. Anyway, the best thing I could do to preserve our fragile friendship, was to try and forget about my feelings. We had finally found balance, I didn't want to break it.

I hope you like this story! I'm trying to post chapters more frequently. What do you think will happen? Is Charles going to find out about Alba's feelings?