Prologue

2018

«Prochaine fermée: Monaco Monte-Carlo».
The sun gleams on the crystal clear water of the Mediterranean Sea, almost blinding me. I stretch my legs and arms before gathering all my luggage. I will be in sunny Monaco in a few minutes, where my new life is waiting for me. 
The train stops and I make my way out of the station. It is not my first time in the Principality and I know my way around. Outside I immediately find my cousin Marta and her boyfriend Riccardo: when she sees me, she runs to me, hugs me and tells me how much she missed me in the past year. We separate and I salute Riccardo, who was standing near their car. He helps me with all my suitcases and we all hop in.

«I'm so so happy that you're finally here! We are gonna have so much fun - Marta says while holding my hand from the front seat - I hope you are not too tired because tonight I invited our friends over for dinner so that I can introduce you to everyone!»
I simply nod, right now all I need is to take a shower to wash away that train smell from me and nap. I'm exhausted and I just want to rest but I know that she is doing it for me.
Riccardo zooms through the streets of Monaco and in a few minutes we arrive at Marta's house, or what will be my house from now on.

Even though I try to visit often, it's been a while since I've been here. Everything is still in the same place, almost as if here time had frozen. Marta takes me to my room. It was his brother's but he moved abroad for work. On the walls, there are still pictures of him with his friends having the time of their lives. I smile at them and try to remember when was the last time that I saw my cousin Andrea.
Marta helps me bring my stuff into the room and then she leaves me alone to unpack.

After a much needed shower, I fall asleep on the bed but get quickly woken up by the arrival of Marta's friends. Everyone is already here: I try to make my way to my cousin but she is too busy listening to what a guy has to say. Now that I look at the whole group, they are all listening to him so I try too.
«I can't say anything, but things are looking good»
I get on my toes and finally get a clear picture of the guy talking. Marta talked a lot about him. He is Charles Leclerc, Formula 1 driver and Riccardo's best friend. I'm not a fan of him but I also do not live under a rock.

I assemble a plate of food and sit on the nearest chair while Charles talks non-stop. He is telling his friends about his last race and they seem almost hypnotized by his words. I don't know what is so amazing about this sport. Isn't it just cars going around? I remember that my father used to fall asleep after the start every time he tried to watch a race.
Finally, Marta acknowledges my presence and starts to introduce me to her friends. They are a funny bunch. She also introduced me to Giada, Charles' girlfriend, but the driver did not even care to say "hello" to me. 

I am not someone who believes that first impressions are important, but I don't really like Charles.

2020

I know that "hate" is a strong word but I don't care. I hate Charles Leclerc. The thought that he exists in this world drives me crazy. I tried everything to have a civil relationship with him but it's impossible. He knows how to get on my nerves and I guess that's his favourite hobby.
Fortunately, we don't see each other often thanks to his job. He is always travelling around the world and sometimes, when he doesn't have to work, he stays in Maranello.
Since I met him he got promoted to Ferrari, changed girlfriend and somehow became more and more arrogant. 

From Marta:
I know you two don't get along but it's my birthday and I want to spend it with the people I love the most

From Charles:
I'm here, don't make me wait forever

I read the two messages while I put on my shoes. We are going out to dinner, the four of us. Riccardo, Marta, Charles and I. It's going to be a very long night. I get in the car and he starts to drive out of Monaco, to a beautiful place near Menton. 
«What do you think is the big news?» he asks. Marta told me they had something to tell us.
«I have no idea...maybe that they're engaged?» I try to guess.
Charles scoffs. «I would know if my best friend wanted to get married, don't you think?»
I roll my eyes and stare out of the window.

We finally arrived at the restaurant, where the couple is already waiting for us. We sit in front of them, look and the menu and order. They are giggling and keep holding hands. Even Charles notices that they are a bit too happy. They notice that Charles and I are perplexed and once the wine arrives they tell us what's going on.

«We're pregnant!»
We stare at them with our jaws wide open. Charles is still processing while I get up to hug and kiss them. That's not big news, that's ginormous news. I'm so happy for them. Once Charles realises that soon he will be an uncle he starts congratulating them and wipes away a happy tear.
«The baby is due in March and we know that is soon but we wanted you guys to be his or her godparents - Riccardo says - You two are the ones we trust the most in the whole world and, if anything should happen to us, we would want you to have the baby»

Now I am the one crying. They are tears of joy, of course. I cannot believe that they chose us to be godparents. We all toast to them and the baby and go on with our dinner.