Chapter 3

"Long time, no see."

I didn't even need to turn my head. I knew he was here before he said a word.

"Isn't that how it's supposed to be," I mumbled, gazing out at the lake before me.

"For some that may be, but I pity those who think that way," Helios spoke, settling down on the log beside me.

He was my best friend. The only person outside of my family that I could show my true self to. He didn't care about my rank or the crazy rules set by our ancestors long ago. I also wasn't sure of his rank. He didn't want me to know and at some point, I stopped asking. We had known each other since we were children and both of us knew that it didn't matter what our ranks were. We would be friends no matter what.

"Tell that to..." I stopped before I could say his name. I feared the emotions that might arise if I did.

"Maybe I will," he shrugged, grinning like an idiot at me.

I laughed, hitting his shoulder," Don't be stupid. He'd kill you."

"I would take that risk," he winked at me.

I laughed, picking up a stone and tossing it in my hand. Helios caught the stone in midair, and I punched him as hard as I could. It didn't seem to faze him though. Stupid muscular guys. He was definitely a warrior in our pack. He was always covered in sweat from the training grounds whenever we met here at sunset. I knew the warriors in our pack trained nearly all day, but they were strong and respected among all. It was hard to see goofy Helios as strong and respected, but miracles do happen I suppose.

"You're a jerk, you know that."

"Why didn't you come to the celebration? It was the one time we could do something together without worrying about anyone."

My voice was quiet as I spoke," You know that's not true."

"I don't care. I'd still be by your side, regardless." He gave me a pointed look," You didn't answer the question."

My chest grew tight. I couldn't lie to him, I knew that. He'd see right through me. He always did. I took a deep breath and pulled my hands into my sleeves.

"I was scared. To finally be with everyone and face their rejection." My mate's rejection. "I thought I would be able to do it but I'm not strong enough. I'm not like you."

I spoke truthfully, the ache in my chest fading just a little bit.

"You're right. You're stronger than me. You just forget it, but that's what I'm here for. To remind you," he grinned at me.

I laughed, grabbing him into a hug," Thank you, Helios."

"Hey!" He laughed, wrapping his arms around me. " You hug me when I say stupid shit like that, but you won't for my birthday. I don't understand you."

"I know," I smiled, burying my face into his chest.

"Don't get too comfortable. I don't want to die by the hand of your mate because they think I'm in love with you."

I let him go, shoving him as hard I could until he was sprawled across the floor.

"Shut up, dork."

"So abusive!" he exclaimed, pushing me too with a laugh.

I fell to the ground, letting my eyes fall to the sky. It was clear blue, scattered with so many different white puffy clouds. I wondered what it would be like to float peacefully in the sky with no one to care about what you look like or what rank you hold. It was a stupid thought, but mine nonetheless.