Chapter 18

For the first time, I was grateful most of my clothes were on the bigger side considering a large amount of them were passed down from Millie, who got them from my mom. It was fairly easy for me to slip into a pair of sweats and t-shirt without too much strain or need of assistance and although they weren't the most stylish, they were still in great condition. I felt rejuvenated now that I was clean and I was sure I looked much better too.

Although, my wet hair remained a tangled mess. I was able to make it a tad bit better with my fingers and since I didn't have much time, I pulled it up in a decent bun that would have to work for now. Helios was kind enough to supply me with a toothbrush and toothpaste, but he hadn't extended his generosity with a brush and comb. Then again, I was in no position to be picky.

As Helios said, Raven was waiting for me in the hall, a small smile appearing on her face as I stepped out the door.

"Let me help you," she offered, taking the bag filled with my stuff from my arm. I said a small thanks and grabbed onto her other arm that she extended out to me.

She guided me to a dimly lit dining room where Rowen stood by the window on the right side of the room, his arms crossed with a stoic expression. His father was seated at a long maroon table not too far from him, the power radiating from him rivaling his son as he projected his dominance. Neither of them looked in our direction when we entered and I felt awkward as we waited just inside the archway. They were sitting in a heated silence, two words I would have never had thought to put together.

"Alpha, it's an hour before daybreak. The Luna-" Zerian scoffed at her words and Raven darted her eyes to him before continuing hesitantly," She's ready." 

Rowen exhaled and turned around, nodding at Raven.

"Thank you. You're dismissed." He told her and she dipped her head in acknowledgment before she looked at me.

"I hope we meet again on better terms," she smiled, giving me a small bow as well.

"Thank you," I breathed, pulling her into a hug. "For everything."

"Of course." she said, returning my embrace.

She placed the bag filled with my things on the farthest end of the table, opposite of Zerian, eyeing him warily before looking at me in concern. She didn't speak further though, bowing her head low once more before departing out the room.

I listened to her footsteps fade down the hall, feeling the overwhelming intensity of being alone with two commanding Alphas. I didn't dare glance at Zerian as I stood nervously waiting for someone to speak, preferably Rowen. His father hadn't said anything nice when I was around and judging from the negative energy radiating from his side of the room, nothing about that changed in their short conversation.

However, Rowen remained silent, trapping me in an intense stare. His eyes trailed over me until they returned mine, his familiar green orbs almost pitch black as he watched me. I felt self-conscious under his dark stare, wondering if there was something wrong with me that caused him to respond this way.

Was it my clothes? My hair? Then again, he saw me with a branch in my hair. I wasn't sure that was the issue.  

He swallowed hard and brought his fist to his mouth, ripping his eyes from me. I stepped forward, but he immediately stepped back, keeping the distance between us. I tried my hardest not to let the pain I felt display on my face, but it didn't hurt any less inside.

"Is everything okay?" I inquired softly, my voice wavering as I crossed my arm over my abdomen.

"Fine." Rowen snapped, harshly, and my chest tightened. That stung a bit. Regret flashed across his face and he moved towards me, but he stopped when I stumbled backward on my heels, my hand shooting out to the wall.