6- Questions and Threats

Anna jerked and sat upright. Looking around the bright room and panting hard. Her eyes scanned the white room and after a while, she managed to calm down only a little. The beeping sound by her side was a monitor that read her heart and her condition in general.

This wasn’t heaven. Given all the bad things she had done in her life, she knew very well that she didn't qualify for heaven.

She was in the hospital. But how? The last thing she remembered was that she was going to die and that assassin aimed a gun at her then the scent and-

Sai, her wolf was suddenly getting all excited and all Anna had to do was pat her head and she felt her wolf ears were out. She squeezed the sheets under her fist as her scent filled the room without her permission.

Sai was only reacting this way because of him.

That man with the silver hair.

Ignoring how handsome and well built he was, Anna lowered her head to think. How was it possible that she felt the mate connection to him?

Yes, she had heard of second chance mates but she never thought it was possible in her case. At least, not this soon. Levi just rejected her two weeks ago and his rejection was still fresh in her soul.

Why would the moon goddess seek to punish her again? Wasn't the first heartbreak enough? Levi had used her body and her mind, deceiving her that she was the centre of his world yet when it was time to defend her, he not only stood aside but he threw the first stone.

What was the meaning of this second mate?

Anna was certain that it was nothing but a mistake. She wasn't the naïve virgin woman she used to be. She was smarter now and she had tasted the wickedness of the very one who was supposed to be her mate.

She would rather die than have anything slow her down in her mission.

The stranger's face flashed in her mind and her heart made a thud.

Those eyes had stared at her in shock as if he too couldn’t believe it. Such a handsome face. How could he be real? That height, that body, Anna who usually dominated a room had never felt so small and dominated in her whole life.

This was a bit different than Levi. This new mate's scent was so dominant, it stared her in the face and when she looked at him, Anna furrowed her brows for a while. There had been something else there… like another presence.

Was it his wolf? Why didn't she feel that way with Levi? She had felt like she was being stared at by two people and their eyes were solely on her like she was the center of-

No.

She turned her face away, biting hard on her jaw and she pulled out the IV in her hand. She winced and got out of bed. She was wearing a blue hospital gown and her left shoulder was all wrapped up with a dull pain throbbing from inside.

Once upon a time, she had thought the same thing. That she was the only one he saw, look how it ended.

"I gotta get out of here."
****

He ran a hand through his silver hair, arranging his bangs and making sure the wind didn't get in his hair. He squeezed the bouquet of red roses in his right arm and brought it to his nose. Taking a deep big whiff of it, his lips turned down in a frown.

Her scent smelt better than this.

Her pheromones had been the lightest shade of red and they reminded him of blood. How could it be that his mate's scent could be likened with blood? His lips pulled back in a smirk and he slowly made his way to the private room.