5.rico guzman

RICO'S POV

Being a made man was never a dream of mine. I always thought that by this age I'd be a professional pianist who'd be traveling the world or playing to sold out crowds in the Carnegie Hall... but no, that was not the plan for me after my older brother died when I was 15. He was supposed to be living this piece of shit life, not me. I knew since then that the moment I graduated from Socrates Boarding School, I would be capo. There was no escape, the decision was already made for me. And there was no way I could say no to my family either, especially my mother who has been boss of Los Soles clan since she was 13 years-old and runs one of the largest cocaine operations in Spain and the US. People from the underworld call her The Snow Queen and her chain of dealers from Madrid alone brings in as much as $85 million a month in cocaine to the United States. My mother is a powerful and bold woman; that's why part of me feels the urge to prove myself to her, even if that means giving up on my own pathetic dreams. I can't even phantom what she'd think if she saw me right now, hiding my sorrows and who I truly am behind the monstrous, black piano in front of my numb body. She says escapes are for the weak, but she knows it's the instrument I live for, the only thing that helps me stay sane. Maybe that's why she allows me to play here at "Alma's Note" ever since we moved here from Spain. It's a piano bar hidden in the darkest corner of Devil's Den, a town a couple of hours east from The Hamptons. Only those who are part of criminal organizations come down here, the rest are too afraid to see what's truly lurking behind the shadows.

The way my long, expert fingers fly over the ivories playing one of my favorite compositions by Yann Tiersen, Comptine d'un autre été: l'après-midi, charges my soul with a bittersweet feeling. But as my heartbeat starts following the rhythm, all is suddenly calm, well, the melody the only thing audible as the world goes quiet around me. And, finally, I get lost in the music, and that is the part I love the most. I give the gold Patek on my wrist a quick glance. Shit. I'm short in time, but after my meeting with Kat today, I knew I had to come and let off some steam before picking her up later tonight for Tatsu's opening. My intention was never to be an asshole to her — again— but that was exactly what I did, and fuck, we're supposed to be a team now. We both want the same thing after all, change Los Dragones ways.

Soft applauds fill the room once my melody is over. I can't avoid grinning to myself, feeling proud and satisfied. I lift my gaze from the keyboard to search for Scar, she's supposed to be here by now, but instead I meet with a pair of captivating, pale, blue eyes. They're overflowing with sadness, tears falling from them as she keeps applauding from the bar's corner along with the crowd. I've never seen her here before, of that I'm sure. I would've remembered that horrendous wardrobe that makes her look like a stiff, porn librarian. She's still quite beautiful though. Her platinum hair is in an extremely neat and low, side-parted bun, she's wearing rimless glasses and there isn't a single wrinkle on her blue, pencil skirt nor the white, button-up shirt covering her full breasts. I have to say, she looks boring as fuck. Realizing our eyes have been locked for too long, she abruptly shifts her gaze, taking off her glasses and wiping away her tears. She then turns her attention to Pepo, the bartender, I take my chance and head towards her, standing straight right next to her petite body. I grin down at her, enjoying too much how she acts like she hasn't noticed my presence yet. She's even prettier up close and quite adorable. Not even with her 4-inch Chanel heels the top of her head reaches my shoulders. My dick throbs in my pants as I think about all the ways I could destroy that pretty, tiny body and those large tits with it...

"What is someone like you doing here?" I lean down to whisper in her ear, "It might get dangerous, Blue." Blue eyes, blue skirt, blue mood, blue-ish and purple bruises on that ass. It's the perfect name.