21

Chapter 21

I had the weirdest dream wherein I was walking down the beach while holding hands with someone, but I couldn't see who it was. Despite that, I felt that I was loved and happy until I heard the sound of my alarm. I pressed the snooze button and went back to bed hoping that my dream would be continued but I only got ten more minutes of sleep because I heard the alarm ring for the second time. It was mildly disappointing because I wanted to know who it was. I turned it off and defeatedly got out of bed. I guess we'll never know thanks to my reliable alarm clock.

My throat was parched, so I headed to the kitchen for a glass of water. Suddenly, Richard appeared out of nowhere, asking, "What time are we leaving?" His sudden presence startled me that I nearly spat out my drink.

"Why are you here so early?" I asked, grabbing another glass of water.

"Why not? I'm wide awake and full of energy!" he exclaimed, stretching his arms. Honestly, I wasn't in the mood for anything to handle this kind of energy.

"Calm down. The event starts at 2 p.m. It's not like we're going to miss anything."

"But I'm ready to go." 

I stared at him contemplating what to do next.

"Fine. We'll leave after breakfast." I decided and he gave me a pat on the shoulder before returning upstairs to his room.

I tended to my cat before making breakfast. I still don't know what to name her so I guess I'll have to look up for name recommendations later.

"By the way, where were you last night?" I casually asked Richard while were eating the morning meal I prepared.

"Why do you care?"

"Nothing." I replied when I realized that it's none of my business. 

"Aren't you curious about what I did?"

"I apologize. I just realized it was a stupid question. You said it so yourself. You went to blow off some steam."

"Oh yeah? And what about it?"

"It's none of my business."

"Yeah right." he sounded mildly annoyed.

"Do you want your dad to know?"

"No thanks."

"That's what I thought."

After we ate, Richard insisted on driving, even though it was I who invited him for a hangout. It seems like I wouldn't get another chance to drive their car unless he was either drunk or seriously injured. There's just something about driving luxury cars that I missed.

We arrived at the park and the first thing that we did is to visit my favorite place which is Edith's bookshop. She greeted us both the moment she saw us.

"Back with your friend, I see," she remarked, noticing Richard.

"Unfortunately." I joked but Richard doesn't seem amused.

"Looking for something specific today?" Edith asked.

"Something light. Any recommendations?" I replied.

She smiled before pulling a small book from the shelf. "How about this? 'Desire Play' by Jane Conway."

"What's this about?"

"It's a short story. Better not to spoil anything but my son loved it."

"Okay." Trusting her judgment, I placed it in my basket. I browsed the shelves for a while before cashing out with 3 more books and a new bookmark.