2 - MNEMOSYNE

"Those who serve the lord of death have come to worship in a separated world, each with his tiny spear and rusted sword, to keep his ancient promises to die."

--from The Mystikon Oracle

PLACE: MONAI EMPIRE – NEAR THE RUINS OF LIASA

DATE: HIEROS 10TH

"CONSISTE!" commanded a legionnaire, holding a javelin and shield in the dim light, blocking the road forward. "Stand where you are!"

Behind him on both sides of the road were several more gathered around fires in full winter dress: red elbow-length tunic and red trousers covered by a silver breastplate and shoulder armor, leather wrist guards and apron strips, along with leg greaves and high thick boots. Each carried a short sword on their belt and some were holding a javelin. All were wrapped in their signature red cloaks draped with heavy furs to stay warm. A few hurriedly put on helmets and grabbed shields upon seeing the travelers.

Gnaeus and his unit came to a halt, wrapping their own cloaks and furs tighter to ward off the bitter cold. The dirt road they were on was surrounded by a dark, snowy forest, but the trees did little to mitigate the biting wind. It was midday, but the winter light was so low it felt more like twilight. Four of his unit were mounted, surrounding the open wagon he and Eolius were driving. Their animals were all common six-legged jejuniae - horses with greater speed and stamina than the rare four-legged variety and sporting a thick winter coat.

They waited as a group of soldiers encircled their party. Livia had taken point and was closest to the legionnaires gathered in front of them, but it was Gnaeus who stepped off the wagon and walked toward a mounted centurion who was wearing gold, rather than silver, and a helmet that bore a red crest. Two gold discs were proudly affixed to the top corners of his breastplate, embossed with imperial symbols. Gnaeus instantly recognized them as service medals: one for standing his ground and the other for being the first inside the enemy's gate.

"Salve centurion," greeted Gnaeus with a smile on his face.

"Salve!" replied the centurion, not smiling. "This is a restricted area. Turn your cart around and head back the way you came."

"We're here on the Imperator's business and by his command. The Praetorians said we could find him here." Gnaeus said, referring to the Imperator's personal palace guard.

"I wasn't briefed on this," said the centurion. He paused to confer silently with an officer standing by his horse.

The centurion looked back up, "Even if the Imperator were here, which he's not, why would I believe you?"

Gnaeus walked forward a few steps, only stopping when the centurion placed his hand on his sword hilt. Gnaeus bared his left forearm, palm upward, revealing an intricate tattoo above his wrist of a mythical female figure in red, nude from the waist up with billowing hair, and the body of a serpent with twin tails curled away from each other. Below the tails were the black letters INRI. The centurion nodded toward the others in Gnaeus' unit, who all bared their arms revealing the same tattoos. This caused a stir among the soldiers around them.