Appendix A - Eosian Calendar

CALENDAR INFORMATION IN DETAIL

I. The Year

A. 1 year = 354.33 days

B. Years run in cycles of 3:

1. First Year is called Perusi, Second Year is called Dietes, and Third Year is called Trietia (one extra day is added)

II. The Months

A. There are 8 months of 44-45 days each corresponding to 8 distinct seasonal periods

B. Some months are Isomens of other months, i.e. they are exact duplicates of other months in hours of light and darkness and in climactic conditions; however, the actual time of day when daylight and darkness occur is reversed

C. Some months are Isokrons; i.e. they have equal hours of light and darkness

Months in Detail

1. Aletheia (True) - This month is an Isomen of Porinos and is also an Isokron. The month marks the beginning of Spring, with warm weather and days and nights of equal length. The twin suns travel in a normal southern arc. Genesia (Beginning)is the first day of the new year, marked when the twins rise at 1 and set at 13. Nights are cool with the Veil Galaxy low on the northern horizon. Aretos is visible in the southern day sky and will eclipse the Twins only in this month. Asteia is visible in the southern night sky only during 1st and 3rd years. The name 'Aletheia' is old, its origins forgotten. Daylight hours are from 1-13, night is from 13-24.

2. Olethros (Destruction) - This month is an Isomen of Theros. It marks the early summer season with hot, tropical conditions, 18-hour days and short, very warm nights. The twins travel in a long, high southern arc rising in the east at about 22 and setting in the west at about 16 the next day. The Veil is not visible. Aretos is visible in the high southern day sky. Asteia is visible in the southern night sky only during 1st and 3rd years. The name 'Olethros' is a commemoration of the destruction of Eleucia. The 42nd of the month, called Kataklysmos (Deluge), is a solemn fast day remembering that destruction.

3. Mesembria (Noon) - Called also 'The Long Day', this month marks the season that has no night. The twins travel in a circle about the mid-sky level, first in the southern sky, then across the zenith and into the northern sky by month's end. Optasia (Vision) is the first day of the month marking the first day without a suns-set. The first reversal of 'day' and 'night' (work and sleep ) schedules occurs on the 25th and is called Metanoia (Change of Mind). Aretos circles the northern day sky. Neither Asteia nor the Veil are visible.