4 - EPIGRAPHA

"This world harbors the strange idea there is a power beyond omnipotence, a place beyond the infinite, a time transcending the eternal. Here the timeless come to be made the slaves of time, and the Immortal to hate a little while, to suffer pain and to finally die."

--from The Mystikon Oracle

                                                                                                                                       PHOTO CREDIT: LUNA LUNARIA

PLACE: MONAI EMPIRE – CAPITAL CITY OF MONS

DATE: HIEROS 12TH

Maeia lifted her head and brushed her hair away from her face but did not answer the Imperator's greeting. The ceryneia she was on knelt down to allow her to slide off its back to the pavement, where she stood, eyes locked with the Imperator, for several moments.

Di Immortales! What happened to her? thought Decimus, staring at her blood-soaked clothes. He could feel the anxiety building among the soldiers and temple personnel, as they all shivered in the dim light.

Urbanus was the first to break the silence between them.

"So," he remarked, attempting to regain the upper hand in the conversation, "you know that I could have you taken now for disobeying my direct order."

Maeia stood before him unflinching, their eyes locked, then responded in an arcane language that only Urbanus and her order understood.

"I am no longer conflicted over defending myself or others to any extent necessary," she replied, measuring her words carefully. "The next time I'm backed into a corner no one will be immune."

"Is that a threat?" Urbanus asked using the same language.

Decimus couldn't understand what they were saying, but it sounded almost musical. Maybe it's okay after all.

"Take it any way you like," Maiea responded, "but I refuse to allow myself to be manipulated any longer."

"Then why are you here?" Urbanus asked, then watched as her eyes drifted over the covered cart.

"Ah, so you're curious," he added with a measure of satisfaction.

"Yes," she confessed. "It's been calling to me. I had every intention of leaving this place and your control forever, but I couldn't get the artifact out of my head. So here I am."