Thirteen

Coriolanus and Lucy Gray walked for an entirety of two days before they made it to District 12's boundaries.

There were peacekeepers everywhere and Coryo pulled Lucy Gray behind a tree, trying to think of a way to get past them. They spent a few minutes watching and observing the system in which the peacekeepers patrolled the gate.

They could easily climb it, but that depended on whether or not there would be a window long enough for them to get over and out of sight.

"How fast do you run?" Lucy Gray asked suddenly, looking out at the gate with a calculating look. "I discovered just how fast I can run in that arena. I can get up and over fast enough."

Coriolanus had discovered the speed that came with adrenaline in that arena too.

Bobbin.

He shook the name out of his head. We all do things we're not proud of to survive.

Coryo watched for another minute before responding. "I can do it."

"Great," Lucy Gray said, grabbing his hand and then bolting, dragging him along in his surprise.

"Lucy Gray," he half whispered and half yelled. Once he steadied himself on his feet, he was running just as fast as her.

He was looking around wildly, making sure that no one would see them. Then, when they reached the wire gate only a foot or two taller than him, he dropped to his knee to boost Lucy Gray up.

Once she was up and climbing, Coryo followed, staying near Lucy Gray to make sure she made it over. When she reached the top, she jumped down, landing with her knees bent.

She ushered Coriolanus to do the same and he did, and then they ran. They ran like the devil himself was chasing them and they didn't stop until they could find cover behind a rock the size of a truck.

"We made it," Coryo said, relieved. They were breathing heavily, and when they were finally able to slow down, they looked around.

Now, instead of the beautiful stretch of forestry, there was only desolation. Rubble everywhere, burnt remains of what used to be life, and the feeling of death.

District 13.

Or rather, what was left of it.

Coriolanus felt Lucy Gray squeeze his hand tight. Sejanus was right.

They were all monsters. The Capitol had destroyed everything.

The buildings that still stood were crumbling to dust, and what used to be healthy mining land was now only collapsed caves.

And yet, Coriolanus felt something buzzing in the air, like something was happening. He started forward, pulling Lucy Gray with him. "Let's keep moving."

They stayed close together as they navigated the obstacles of ruins and rubble. Lucy Gray looked around her, horrified. "I know what they said but this..."

Coriolanus nodded. He didn't need her to finish. "This is worse."

This world, it's dark
This world, it's scary

The lyrics to Lucy Gray's music were constantly coming to Coryo. So much, in fact, that sometimes he couldn't tell the difference between what was in his head and if Lucy Gray was actually singing or not.

She was humming softly as they walked, but not lightheartedly. It was heavy and dreary.

They had been walking for a while when they decided to take a break.