Chapter 17: My Plan

Sirius' POV

We were watching a nearby town because Orion ordered it, saying he had seen humans nearby. He had the idea of threatening Marien with something, apparently, with something that could hurt her. This wasn't going well; I was worried.

"I've finally been tasked with doing something useful," Altair murmured.

I just frowned while I was careful not to be seen.

"We have always been told that attacking another who is unarmed is not very good-looking."

"Don't start it," he whispered. "This is a dirty human that has been hanging around lately. They think they can come and take us whenever they want."

I remembered the evolved men controlled by humans. Yes, they used to take us and do experiments on us.

"Uhm," I looked forward, "I see..." But I still wasn't convinced by the idea.

Anyway, I had no choice. If I didn't do it and continued refusing to obey, I might fail to get Marien out.

Of course, I should never have brought her in the first place...

Altair ran, and I reacted, leaving after him.

I realized that a controlled evolved man accompanied the human. He was harassing a young one of our kind who had not yet gone through a transition, and since we were warriors, we had to protect our people from all these things.

"Stop the evolved one!" Altair ordered, and he launched himself towards the human.

I was amazed to see how he dodged a shot and, with a blow, the human fell unconscious. I was hit by the evolved man I was supposed to stop. I swallowed dirt in the attack, out of distraction, and began to growl, turning around and hitting him to get him off of me.

"The human must have control to wake this one up!" I warned while I struggled with the evolved man who was entirely out of his mind.

And then, he stopped. My attacker blinked a couple of times and jumped back with a surprised look. I turned, and Altair dropped the human after ripping the controller out of his pocket with his other hand.

***

"You didn't need to hurt him seriously, you know?" I commented as we returned to the fort.

He carried the human on his back, and his blood was dripping into his shirt. I had even gotten some stains for helping him take him.

"It's about time. You're late," Orion growled, crossing his arms from a hillside near the fort.

He led us back, and Apus and Antares chuckled as they noticed the human man waking up. They pulled him away from Altair as he began to complain of fear, seeing himself surrounded by callous men with cold eyes, who pushed him and played with him as if they were lions with their prey.

I looked down, clenching my fists so much that they shook. The man complained after another blow and fell. The claws of my companions disfigured his face. He seemed to look for mercy in me, and I had no choice but to take my eyes off him.

Maybe he hadn't been a very good person, but many human men just followed orders... Just like me.

"Enough," Orion snapped. "Let's see what our guest thinks."

Apus lifted the man off the ground with one hand as if nothing had happened and dragged him while he begged to be left.

We head to Marien's cell.

"Constrain her so she doesn't get distracted," Orion ordered Altair and me as we entered.

As soon as the door was opened, she was scared, and as Altair rushed to grab her, I did, too, not wanting him to be rough to her. Only by being close could I be sure of that. We both restrained her by the arms, and the others threw the man while he cried.