[ chapter one ]

[ chapter one ]

S2 E2: Everybody Loves a Clown

AS I DRY THE shot glass in my hand, my mind is blank. It is a monotonous task, drying dishes, but it's something that has gotta be done at a bar. I'm so lost in my not-thoughts that I don't notice two men coming to sit at the bar.

I'm snapped out of my thoughts by Ellen's voice.

"Adeline, these are the Winchesters. Sam and Dean. You remember their daddy, John, right?" I look over at Ellen before my gaze falls on the men. I nod in recognition. "They came by the other day when you were out." I nod again, not really interested in anything to do with anyone named 'Winchester.' Luckily, Ellen moves the conversation along.

"You boys did a hell of a job. Your dad would be proud." Ellen places a beer down in front of each man. Jo comes strutting from the back, finished with the laundry.

"Thanks," Sam replies awkwardly.

The room is full of hunters, casually cleaning their weapons and drinking as Ellen wipes down glasses behind the bar, serving the occasional customer. I set the shot glass down, curiosity bubbling to find out why they are here.

I focus back on the brothers and Jo, watching as Jo makes eyes at Dean.

"Oh, yeah, I've got to, uh... I've gotta go- Over there. Right now," Sam stutters, making his way over to the pool table. Before I can figure anything out, Ash makes his grand entrance, carrying a folder and my old homemade computer.

"Where you guys been? Been waitin' for ya." I can smell the beer rolling off him. His entrance overrides the desire to understand the Winchester's arrival. I'm sick of being in this bar.

"God, Ash. You reek," I mutter as I push past him, finished with my shift and attempting to escape the whole situation. He grabs my wrist before I can get too far, turning me around and throwing his arm around my shoulders. I try not to gag as the stench of stale beer floats in a cloud around me. Dean walks over to join his brother in front of us, his eyebrows raised as he looks at Ash's arm slung over my shoulders. I elbow my brother in the ribs, shaking his arm off me.

"We were working a job, Ash. Clowns?" Sam replies.

"Clowns? What the-"

"You got something for us, Ash?" Sam cuts him off, gesturing to the laptop under his arm. Ash nods, placing the computer on the table alongside a folder.

"Did you find the demon?" Ash shakes his head, turning to me. He points down at the laptop.

"Hey, A. Do your thing." Reluctantly, I move closer to the computer and hit a few keys as Ash peers at the dirty screen. "It's nowhere around. At least, nowhere we can find it. But if this fugly bastard raises its head, we'll know. I mean, we're on it like Divine on dog dookie."

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, any of those signs or omens appear, anywhere in the world, my rig'll go off. Like a fire alarm." Ash looks proudly at my computer.

Dean reaches for the laptop, "do you mind?" My brother swiftly slaps his hand away from the keys. The man looks between the two of us, his vision settling on me. "How did someone like you end up with him?" I can't help the light snort that escapes me. "What's so funny?" He asks, his eyes shifting from me to my brother.

"Now I may have done a whole lotta things in my life, but I ain't ever dated my sister," Ash replies. Sam snorts, rolling his eyes at his older brother, who still looks perplexed.

"Damn, you guys don't look anything alike, I would never have guessed it." Sam muses, Dean still scratching his head.

"What do you mean, you are related to her? No way. You are a Lynyrd Skynyrd roadie and she is... definitely not." I look up at Dean, raising my brows, but Sam moves the conversation somewhere else before I can ask what he means. It's one of those situations where you can't tell if it's a compliment or not. Tone. It's all I'm sayin'.

"Ash, where did you learn to do all of this?"

"M.I.T. Before I got bounced for... fighting." He looks over at me and I give him a subtle high-five under the table. I can't help it. Without the beer, my brother is pretty freakin' cool. "This little lady over here still goes." He points at me.

"Not the fighting kind?" Dean questions, a sly grin on his face. Since the revelation that I'm not, in fact, Ash's girl, his flirt game has skyrocketed. I give him a slight smile, my cheeks flushing slightly from all the attention. Ash notices the exchange, glancing back and forth from the hunter to me, his glare focusing on Dean.

"Oh, no. She just don't get caught," Ash's eyes never once shifting from Dean's face. My face burns hotter, the brothers glancing at each other impressed.

"M.I.T.?" Sam queries.

"It's a school in Boston."

"Okay. Give us a call as soon as you know something?"

"Sì, sì, compadre," Ash replies, his Spanish accent almost offensive. Dean takes one last sip of his beer, setting it down and standing. The brothers walk towards the door while Ash picks up the abandoned bottle and takes a sip.

"Hey, Ash? D'you reckon you could maybe not sneak into my room and steal my stuff next time?." He rolls his eyes, giving a slight nod and grin before knocking back the rest of his beer.

I gather up my computer and files and head back to my room, flinging my stuff onto my bed, myself following suit. My cheeks are flushed with embarrassment after having all the attention on me. I had never been good with talking to strangers, especially ones that look like the Winchesters. What kind of hunters even looked like that? I'm used to Bobby and Rufus lookalikes, y'know, with the grey hair and faces more wrinkled than a hairless cat.

It's not that I'm into them or anything. They are Winchesters after all. They're bad news. I just really can't understand how I am related to Ash, the most confident and talkative person in the building, even more than Jo. He is so sure of himself, not afraid to be unapologetically him.

I walk towards the bathroom, deciding to chalk up all my awkward feelings and insecurities about literally breathing in public and embarrassing myself somehow to a bad day and hop in the shower.

authors note:

hello to anybody interested in reading this book! 

this is my first book, so please feel free to point out any typos or mistakes i might make along the way. i'd appreciate the help! just please be kind! 

although it's kinda shitty, please enjoy :)