[ chapter five ]

[ chapter five ] 

S2 E5: No Exit

AFTER NINETEEN HOURS OF solid driving, only stopping for bathroom breaks, power naps and gas, I finally make it to Philadelphia. I knew that I wasn't too far behind the guys as I left only a few minutes after they did. And I had mapped a route that I had memorised, though that was included in the files.

I pull up to the apartment building, thankfully remembering the address during the long car ride.

As I head up the stairs, I pull out my EMF reader, holding it up near the vents along the hallways. Once I reach the right level where the most recent kidnapping was, I creep along the hallway, not sure if the Winchesters are already here.

I walk towards the apartment in question, seeing the door already open. I grab the gun resting in the waistband of my jeans and hold it up. I enter the room, my gun following my line of vision.

"Oh, dear fucking God! Adeline Martin. What the fuck are you doing here?" Dean jumps, scared for his life. I roll my eyes.

"Dean, Sam. Didn't expect to see you here," I smile sweetly.

"Uh, you shoulda. This is our case. Hang on, weren't you in the room when everything went down?" He looks at his brother. "What is going on?" He asks him. Sam shrugs.

"Dean, give me back my files and leave." I stick the gun into the back of my jeans, holding my hand out expectantly.

"No. Missy, this is our case. How on this earthly planet is it yours? And why did you drive like twenty hours to come get it?"

"Sweetheart, I made that file. Give it here."

"No. Jo made it. And even if she lied and you really did, would you be able to take the heat of a real case? I mean, no offence, but it isn't sitting at home and trying to solve it from the safety of Nebraska." Once again, my jaw drops at his rudeness. He doesn't stop there. "Wait, have you ever actually hunted?"

With eyes wide, I step towards him, poking him in the chest. "Excuse me. I have gone on plenty of hunts before. I grew up hunting, not like Jo did, hearing about her father hunting while living a safe little life. I have been on the road since the day I was born and I can handle myself just fine, don't worry about me. So, give me back my file." Without warning, Dean grabs the wrist that is closest to his chest, pulling it around until he has me locked against his back.

I smile, knowing how to beat up both the boys right here and now if I wanted to. A girl staying at seedy motels alone has forced me to learn a few things. I laugh at Dean's stupidity, that just because I'm a girl, I'm not as powerful as them.