[ chapter three ]

[ chapter three ]

S2 E4: Children Shouldn't Play with Dead Things 

AFTER THE PROMISED fifteen minutes, Ash and I find a match. Sam is sitting in front of us, waiting for the results patiently, a newspaper in his hands.

"Sammy boy, we have done it. Addie, you beautiful sister of mine, we have done it again. We are brilliant." Ash picks up his bottle of beer and downs the rest of it in celebration. I watch as his throat bobs as he swallows, feeling mildly ill at the guilt of pushing him into alcoholism.

Sam jumps up from his seat after thanking us profusely, rushing to inform his older brother of our findings. My eyes drift from Sam's retreating figure to Dean and Jo sitting at the bar, talking. 

From my angle, all I could see was Jo's face and Dean's back, but the look on Jo's face was enough to make me regret looking at all. It was clear they were flirting, which shouldn't bother me at all. And yet, here I am, something like jealousy bubbling in my stomach. Which is stupid, and totally not like me at all.

Jo is my best friend. I should be happy that she is getting it on with a guy. A super-hot guy at that. But for some reason, I wish that I was in her place.

I continue to watch them, Sam interrupting their conversation, making them both leave the Roadhouse. My eyes are glued to Dean's back as he walks out the doors, Sam by his side. His dark leather jacket stretched against his broad shoulders and his big boots stomping against the floorboards. It was all so hideously stereotypical of a hunter, and yet, I couldn't help but feel so attracted to it all of a sudden.

'Get a grip, Adeline', I tell myself. I'm just horny, lonely, and bored. The next hunter that comes into the bar will probably be attractive too at this point. And knowing my luck, it will be some pot-bellied asshole, which makes me reiterate the whole 'get a grip' stance. Besides, he's a Winchester, and I owe Ellen more than shacking up with the sons of the reason her husband is dead. She deserves more. I deserve more.

My eyes drift back from the door where the Winchester boys had just exited to Jo, whose eyes were piercing into mine threateningly. My brows raised and my eyes widen before I quickly duck my head, avoiding her deadly gaze. Ash, sitting at my side, watched as the whole interaction had gone down, narrowing his eyes at me, before the direction of the door.

"Hmm," he sighed, "I'm not even gonna ask." Ash shakes his head before walking back to his room.

I am left there sitting in front of my computer, feeling extremely foolish. My gaze moves from where Ash left, to my hands in my lap. A shadow appears in front of me, causing my gaze to lift. I see Jo, standing with a determined look on her face.