chapter 37

Stella leaned down and handed Olive a steaming mug. With dismay, Olive realized that Stella was in her uniform. She sipped from the mug. The coffee was perfect. Exactly the right amount of milk and sugar, as if Stella had watched her habits. Knowing Stella, she probably had.

Stella sat on the edge of the bed. “How are you feeling?”

“Better. A ton better, actually. My chest still hurts, but the sleep was amazing. The Vicks seemed to have done the trick.” Olive reached for Stella’s arm, their eyes meeting at the same moment as they touched. “Thank you for coming over and checking on me last night.”

And for the best massage of my life.

“You’re welcome.” She bit her lip. “I have a short day today and then the event tonight. But can you please call me if you take a turn for the worse again?”

“I’m going to be fine. Just needed sleep. And I slept like a rock last night. I’m so sorry about the event—”

“No, please don’t say anything else about it. I’m glad you’re okay.” She paused for a beat, shifting her weight so she was closer to Olive. “I … I was really worried when I called.”

“You didn’t need to worry. I’m fine. Though I still feel like I’m in breach of contract.”

Stella frowned. “I don’t want you to feel—”

“It was a joke. Not a good one. But—” Olive coughed delicately. “I’m sick.”

Stella’s forced laugh was brittle. “After today, I’m out of town for a week and a half.”

“Oh?”

“Just the way my schedule worked out.”

“That must be hard, to be away from your dad that long.”

It would be hard for Olive to have her away that long. But they were friends. This was why Stella didn’t want a relationship, Olive realized. Because she didn’t want to feel tethered to anyone else. Her mind was functioning better now. The memory of the ill-advised, aggressive nuzzling of the night before made her cheeks burn.

“It is. I scheduled a lot more hours with the caregivers. My dad understands. Me making captain is the more important thing to him too.”

“If he needs anything, I’m close by. I mean obviously not in the next few days, but when I’m feeling better. I’d be up for anything to help him.”

“Thank you. I really appreciate the offer.”

Olive sipped her coffee, willing the caffeine to fill her veins. “I think he likes time with you more than he cares about you making captain, though. When I was there he just seemed like he missed you when you traveled … He kind of made it sound like he understands that it’s important to you, so he wants to support you—”

Stella whipped her head around. “What do you mean?”

Olive set down her coffee and pulled the comforter up to her neck, feeling suddenly chilled. “It was the sense I got from talking to him. You know him better than I do, but he said something about not wanting to get in the way of your dream, which made me think—”