chapter 38

“This is super nerdy behavior.” Olive yawned, scratching her hair, which was pulled into a tangled knot on the top of her head. Her cough was pretty much gone, but her chest still felt scratchy in the morning. She wore sweatpants and a sweatshirt, feeling downright schlubby compared to Stella in her neat yoga pants and matching zippered hoodie. After a week of not seeing her, she’d been thrilled when Stella got back and called. Less thrilled when Stella said she wanted to pick her up at 5:45 A.M. and go to a grocery store and buy a magazine.

Stella’s walk was a lot more like a jaunt than should be possible at 5:45 A.M. “How often are we going to be in a major magazine?”

“If it’s always going to be the result of a person almost dying on one of your flights, hopefully never again.”

Stella snorted.

“It’s so early.” Olive squinted as the sun peeked over the horizon. “And cold.” Stella had heard from the reporter last week about when the magazine was coming out.

“Stop whining.” She pulled at Olive’s hand and dragged her through the double doors of the grocery store. “We’re going to be in a magazine. This is the day it comes out, and I want to see it and remember this.” She held up her phone and they both smiled for a selfie.

Would that one actually get posted to Stella’s account?

Olive’s smile might have resembled a yawn. “You know we could have read it online, right?” None of the selfies they’d taken together had ended up on Stella’s Instagram yet. Stella had been taking lots of other photos of herself, on planes and of planes and of other aspects of life as a pilot, all with the presets and editing techniques Olive had shown her. But still there weren’t any photos with Olive on Stella’s feed. It felt too weird to ask her about it. Weren’t they supposed to have the relationship visible?

“My dad hates reading on a screen. I told him I’d buy him a copy and bring it to him later after breakfast at your house.”

“At six in the morning?”

“Oh, Olive.” She shook her head and touched Olive’s chin. “You’re not excited?”

“I’m excited to be back in bed.”

“Noted.” Stella squinted wryly.

Feeling guilty and not wanting to be the Eeyore in the situation, Olive pulled Stella toward her and kissed her nose. “But I’m excited you’re excited.” She couldn’t explain that she was mostly nervous. Nervous of the aftermath after what happened with Jake. Too much press could lead to negative attention. You never knew what a reporter could dig up. There were no guarantees about what would be in the article. This was a crapshoot.

“It’s here,” Stella squealed, pulling the glossy cover off the shelf. There was a small photo of them from the TODAY show interview at the bottom corner. Olive pulled another copy off the shelf and flipped through the pages. Her eyes scanned the words, all of her muscles tense.

It was a puff piece, but a sweet one. True to the reporter’s word, there was no mention of Jake or Olive’s family in the article. She hadn’t bothered telling her family about the interview. She’d missed a bunch of documents sent by her mother’s lawyer while she was ill, and Derek had finally insisted on calling Heather himself about it, explaining that Olive was legitimately ill and needed to rest and couldn’t manage nonurgent requests. The lawyer’s emails and calls and texts slowed but didn’t stop. A few days ago, she’d managed to catch up with everything. Yesterday, she’d gone to see Jake for the first time in weeks. His color had been a bit off, though that might have been simply because Olive hadn’t been there in a while. Maybe he’d always looked like that.