Twenty Nine

They walked side by side down the dripping tunnels. The wind and water made each step freezing cold, sending shivers over Whiskey's skin. Her eyes had grown accustomed to the darkness and she watched each movement like a hawk.

She wished she could know how many people were dead so she could make sure who to lookout for. But at the same time, she was grateful because she knew she'd feel guilty for those who didn't deserve to die.

Suddenly, Coriolanus grabbed her hand. She flinched and looked up at him, but he stared forward with a smile. Whiskey gratefully let her fingers intertwine with his, soaking up his warmth.

"We're going to be fine," Coriolanus whispered, reassuring himself. "I'm going to to everything in my power to make sure that we survive."

"You're going to be fine," Whiskey squeezed his hand. "Just gotta wait for the gate to open."

"Exactly. Then it'll all be over," Snow smiled. "What will you do afterwards?"

Whiskey scoffed, dripping his hand. "You know they're going to kill all the tributes if we aren't already dead. I'm not going to survive this one."

"No they won't. It wasn't your fault the rebels did this," Coriolanus persisted.

"Don't be so Naive," She frowned. "We were all already going to be hung. And now, we've ruined the hunger games for good. The games master will never let us go."

"The rebels ruined the hunger games. Not you. You don't deserve to die," He argued.

Finally Whiskey stopped walking, shocked at his ignorance. "Look you probably don't understand this and never will because you're from the capital. But it's not fair for people like me. It never will be. I'm district scum and you're a capital student. It doesn't matter if it is fair, our death is the punishment for rebellion."

She paused for a second, considering how much she should share. "It's been this way forever. My father was killed because he witnessed a man in power shoot an innocent woman. The lady was trying to sort through his desk to find his bank records because she was from the bank, doing her job, and this man murdered her. My father came running when he heard the gunshots and was then killed too."

Coriolanus whispered, "I'm sorry."

"It gets worse," Whiskey turned away from him. "My mother was then framed as the murderer because she was from district 12. She couldn't defend herself because we had no money. She went to prison for the murder of my father, despite being innocent. This man in power ruined my life because he was from the capital and needed someone else to take the blame. It wasn't fair but that's the reality of being district."

"Who was this man?" Coriolanus asked.

"I'm not sure," she answered truthfully. "My mother refused to tell me to keep me safe. But I swore if I ever found out who it was.. I would kill them and their family."

"Is your mother still alive?" Snow asked quietly.

"I have no idea," Whiskey whispered. Her hands wrapped around her body protectively. She fought off the tears, trying to look strong in front of him.

Coriolanus looked at this girl who had experienced such a different life to him. However, in her pain, he saw himself. He saw the little boy crying because his mother and father were dead. He saw himself starving and cold, trying to live of anything he could.

In a moment of understanding, he hugged her. She hugged him back, holding him as close as she could. They held each other.

Then slowly, Coriolanus wiped a tear away from Whiskey's cheek. His blue eyes studied her face, studying her true beauty. She was covered in emotions, yet Snow found her the most beautiful piece of art in the world. He leant forward and kissed her.

He could taste the salt from her tears on her delicate lips, but he didn't mind. She immediately kissed him back, wrapping her hands around him. He gently held her face. Finally, they pulled apart.

Whiskey's light was shining through her eyes as she smiled at him. He smirked, taking her hand again.

"Thank you," She whispered. "For caring."

"I couldn't help myself," he whispered back, kissing her again on the forehead.

-

After a while, they both found a safe place to stay for the night in the dark tunnels. So far they hadn't heard a noise from anyone but rats.

"I got us some water," Coriolanus handed her a small rubber dish he found on the way there. She gratefully took a sip and placed it on the floor. He took a seat next to her.

Whiskey quietly hummed, as Snow wrapped one arm as her waist, pulling her close.

"I was working on a song while you were gone. Do you want to hear?" She smiled.

"Sure," Coriolanus replied, leaning against the stone tunnel walls.

She cleared her throat and sung a gentle melody that echoed through the empty tunnels. It sounded hypnotic and even the water seemed to stop and listen.

"When death comes will I be okay?
Cuz it's been coming every single day
When death takes its breath will cry or will I hold my tongue?
I'd my wise father
But he's already gone

For my mother I left behind
For the boy that's on my mind
For the world I'll never see
For the kids I'll never meet

I'm scared to die
But I've scared to speak my mind
If I don't live past today,
I'll love you anyway

I'll love you anyway."

Once the melody settled, Snow leant over and kissed her. "It loved it."

"Thanks," She blushed. "It's just a work in progress."

"You're a beautiful singer," he complimented her. "You should sing more often."

"I used to. Back at district 12," she admitted. "Maybe if I live I'll invite you to hear."

"I'd like that, songbird," he smirked. "Maybe if I live, I'd come to listen."