Thirty Two

"I-I," Whiskey panicked, trying to calm her breathing. Her hands started to shake and she started to feel dizzy.

"Shh," Coriolanus grabbed her, holding her still. "You're okay. You're going to be okay."

Suddenly, a loud marching sound came from the other side of the arena.

"Coriolanus," Whiskey whispered knowingly, both of them looking towards the exit.

"It's just been confirmed. The capital has finally found a way to enter the arena. We are live-streaming right now!" Lucretius Flickerman pointed his finger towards the screen.

From the other side of the gate, Dr Gaul walked towards the gate with her army of peacekeepers like she had done before. Only this time, she was here to destroy these rebels. On her right, a giant box was being pulled along the road by an army truck. Their marching echoed throughout the city, approaching the arena.

Inside, anticipation filled everyone who was still alive. The remaining tributes and mentors perched nearby, waiting for the next movements. Death was certain to follow, it just wasn't certain who. Mentors running for the gate or Tributes being shot by the peacekeepers? Most likely both. Everyone held onto their last breaths with hope.

Behind a pile of rubble, Coriolanus held Whiskey's face. Tears streamed down her cheeks, but neither one spoke. No words could express their grief. Two souls about to be separated. Whiskey gently placed her hands atop his and he wiped away a tear with his thumb.

"Aw," Lucky Flickerman sighed. "Snow and Everdeen. Look at them...So upset. This truly must be dreadful for them. They both know Everdeen, being a tribute, is going to be executed for being a rebel against the capital in a moment. I'm so glad it's not me."

The wind brushed over their feet, running away from the army. The dust was dry, like their throats. Coriolanus's eyes studied her features possibly for the last time. He leaned closer, pressing his lips against hers. Whiskey melted into him, placing her hands on his chest.

The army stopped marching. The giant box was dropped with a loud crash that shook the ground. Dr Gaul smiled, looking through the metal gate. She pulled her red gloves, letting them slap to her arm.

Suddenly a mentor, Persephone Price, ran for the gate, crying. "Finally! Get me out!"

A single arrow went flying through the air and stabbed her right through the chest. She froze and looked down at the arrow, wide eyes. A horrible gurgling noise erupted from her vocal chords as blood spread and she collapsed to the ground.

"Ooo!" Flickerman flinched. "Silly girl should've waited." He shook his finger, "Patience never killed the cat. The arrow did. Persephone certainly paid the price didn't she?"

Dr Gaul unlocked the box and flicked open the lid revealing a massive rocket launcher. She grabbed the pieces and set it up, aiming for the wall.

"I want my enemies to know," Dr Gaul said loudly.

Flickerman zoomed in, getting the message streamed across all of Panem.

"For those rebels who think that can take the capital. You have no idea what you are dealing with." She slipped the rocket into the funnel, loading her weapon. "You cannot defeat pure destruction."

With that sentence, she pulled the trigger and the wall exploded into chunks. The arena shook and the damaged wall crumbled into a huge hole. She smiled at herself and immediately peacekeepers marched forward into the arena, aiming to kill.

Flcikerman flicked through each camera, showing everyone's reactions. Coriolanus grabbed onto Whiskey, protecting her.

Peacekeepers turned right and grabbed out Velvereen and Facet, kicking and screaming. They threw them down and shot them in their heads. Whiskey covered her ears at the noise, watching with fear.