KABANATA VIII.

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

You've been feeling a little under the weather today, and instructed one of your servants to send Goyo a letter, saying that he won't need to visit today.

But Goyo, being the stubborn man that he is, visited nonetheless, insisting that he'll take care of you. He said, and you quote, "Gusto kong sanayin ang sarili ko kapag pinakasalan na kita."

You rolled your eyes at him, but still felt flattered and grateful that he wanted to stay with you even with your current situation.

When Goyo left after a long hour of convincing that his soldiers might need him, your mother rushed to your side and told you too excitedly that Goyo might be the one for you.

You didn't think much of your mother's statement, probably because you were half asleep due to your headache.

Thankfully, Celia helped you eat and clean up a few minutes prior before you went back to bed, not really having enough energy to walk around your room to exercise your limbs.

You woke up a few hours later feeling thirsty, and noticed that it was still dark outside. Only a candle by the corner was illuminating in your room as you sat up, feeling much better than you did earlier.

Toeing your slippers on, you slowly walked to the corner of your room, and fetched the candle holder by the table in the corner, also fetching the shawl draped on one of your cushioned chairs, before walking towards the door and opening it quietly. You scan the dark hallway, before you carefully walked to the stairs.

When you reached the kitchen, you set the candle holder down and poured yourself a glass of water. You went back upstairs quietly, trying to cease the sound of your footsteps against the hardwood floor.

You went straight to your bed after placing the candle holder on your bedside table, and pressed your chilled feet into the comfort of your warm blankets.

The candle, along with the moonlight illuminated your room as it seeped through the slightly sheer curtains, and you picked up the book beside your pillow, opening it and taking the bookmark inside.

You read for a while, and felt your eyelids getting heavier halfway through the book. You placed the bookmark to where you left off, putting the book down beside your pillow.

You yawned, pulling your blanket up to your chest as you fell into a deep slumber.

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

A letter from Vicente informs you of his death.

The letter you received contained all the detail on how he died. Your father, who already knew of it hours prior, prepared all the things needed for you to be able to go where they were.

It was a long ride, and you didn't know how you managed to hold back all your tears.

The sun was beginning to set when you arrived at the place. You saw bodies of dead soldiers everywhere as you walked until you finally reached the top of the hill, seeing Vicente standing beside an American soldier.

You released a breath, standing on the other side of Vicente. You turned to him.

"Asan siya?" You asked quietly. Your voice quivering slightly as Vicente pointed to the pile of rocks a few steps front of you. He didn't speak a word, only watching as you slowly collapsed on your knees, letting out a sob that you've been holding on the way here.