Chapter one

***Hey guys, I started this new story just until I have a bitter idea where to go next with The Unknown Alpha. If you haven't read it, definitely check it out. Anyway, hope you enjoy this new story. Let me know what you think. Comment, vote and follow me :) ***

Jordin Harrik stared at the knife in her hands. There was nothing special about it, no engravings, no special history. Just a common kitchen knife she stole from the kitchen when she was certain her mother wasn't looking.

     Light flashed in the sky. Jordin glanced upwards, breathed in the electricity that sparked through the night air. The lightning was a nice touch, but she still knew the waterworks would hold off. For now. 

     Jordin straightened as one of her legs slid over the rain gutter and dangled over the edge of the roof. One wrong move and it was quite a fall to the concrete slabs below – eight stories – but she wasn't concerned.

     Jordin peered over the edge of the roof, but there was no one in the courtyard below. Just empty dark cars. A motorbike that belonged to the young couple who just moved into Sage's Court, the apartment complex Jordin lived in with her mother and sister. The wife wasn't that keen on it, from what Jordin had heard as she silently moved through the shadows at night.

     The wind was rather unruly tonight, sending Jordin's soft chestnut curls in every direction. With a grimace, Jordin tucked her hair to the side as she focused on the world below. Sounds washed over her, intensifying to a frightening and almost painful extent.

     The clicks of Ms. Kurrle's heels as she checked the mail in the lobby before heading to the elevator.

     The heavy breaths of Mr. Barron – the secretary – as he rested against the front desk in the lobby.

     Jordin sat up straight as she banished those intrusive sounds. It didn't work out so well at first, but after another moment, the sounds dwindled until they were barely bothersome anymore.

     She fingered the knife again. It was cool to the touch, but sharp enough to do more than enough damage. Jordin turned away from the knife as a sound in an apartment directly below her caught her attention. Liz Pema, a girl a few years younger than Jordin, getting ready for bed. A goodnight to her parents, then nothing as Liz switched off the light and drifted off to sleep.

     Turning her attention away from the young teen below her, Jordin didn't hesitate as she drew the blade of the knife to her skin. With a swift and precise movement, the knife sliced through the soft skin at her wrist. Instantly, her flesh opened and blood flowed freely.

     The scent of blood filled her senses. Waddling through the scents, Jordin discarded the bloodied knife on the clay tiles of the roof as she waited. She didn't have to wait for long.

     A moment passed before she felt magic stir in her body. With a sizzling sensation, magic flooded to the opened wound on her wrist, and with an almost pleasant sensation, the blood flow slowed until it stopped entirely. Then, her flesh was almost pulled together as the thin slice closed and healed entirely. 

     "Dammit," she swore loudly, then hastily chastised herself as Liz turned in her bed. The last thing she needed was to be caught on the roof of an apartment complex. It wouldn't require all that much explanation, given her nature after all, but it would sure look suspicious.

     Jordin cast dirty looks at the discarded knife as she wiped the smeared blood onto her jeans. No even a scar remained. No marks. Nothing but the remains of fresh blood to show she had just moments ago severed an artery.        

     Jordin only scoffed as she leaned back, the breeze tugging on her loose curls. Tilting her head, she looked at the ink-black sky.

     Jordin didn't know how long she remained on that roof for. Silent and staring at the night sky. The sound of nearby traffic became nothing but a wheeze of noise in her subconscious. Absentmindedly, she latched onto the kitchen knife once again and rested the blade against her calf, her fingers trailing the length of the blade as her mind wandered.