Chapter Nineteen - Potions

"Now folks," Professor Flitwick called the group to attention once more. "As you can see we are in the Potions' lab once again. I know that most of you probably have nightmares of this very classroom and it's teachers."

"I will take that as a compliment Filius," a deep, droning voice called from behind the teachers' desk. The whole class gave a jolt in surprise looking around expecting Professor Snape to come billowing in through the door. Instead, he emerged in a very large painting hanging on the wall. He took a glance out over the students faces, his eyes falling to Harry, then to Draco and then to Hermione noticing that Draco had his hand on top of hers. "My, my, I see some of you haven't changed," he looked at Neville who looked horrified. "I assure you Longbottom that I can't harm you from in here," he looked around his frame. "And I see our local celebrity is back. Mr Potter, it seems even in your adult age you still can't seem to manage to run a comb through that mop of black hair."

Harry usually hated Snape and would simply glare at him. But there is something about finding out your teacher was in love with your mum and as a result spent his years protecting you at all costs, that made his hatred towards the man mellow. "Nice to see you again...sir," he smiled. "I am afraid that even some Sleekeazy Potion doesn't work on this hair."
"Pity considering it was your ancestors who invented the potion. Seems it wasn't as good as they made out." His mouth twitched at the edges as he tried not to smile.
"After all these years' sir, I just leave it as it is. It's either this or shave it off, and I don't think I could pull off the bald look."
"I daresay you couldn't."

He turned to Draco. "I see, like me, you too have fallen for a muggle born witch? It seems we are more alike than either of us realised."
Draco simply chuckled. "It appears so Severus. We both found love in the most unlikely of places and I do not plan to let go of mine no matter what the future holds for us." He took Hermione's hand. "But it is good to know that my godfather and I have a few things in common I suppose."
The room all gasped, Flitwick included. Only Hermione didn't react as she already knew this information, which shocked Snape.
"Well, I know what it is like to loved and not be loved the same way in return so I wish you both the very best of luck. At least you have found someone who can keep up with you intellectually." It was probably the nicest thing Snape had ever said to Hermione.

"OK," Flitwick called. "We thought that since we were in the lab, and we had a bit of time to kill before lunch, we would have a little competition. Who is up for a little brewing contest?" He looked around the room as quite a few people looked intrigued. "We thought it would be fun to pair off and make a potion of your choice."
"Remember," Snape called out. "You only have an hour so don't try to show off by brewing something as complex as Polyjuice Potion. And yes Mr Malfoy I am looking to you and your wife. The only ones I would trust with use a complex task." Several people began to murmur all looking a little shocked at the couple. Including their own friends.

"You have brewed Polyjuice Potion?" Leo asked impressed.
Draco and Hermione both nodded. "I did in sixth year," Draco explained. "Crabbe and Goyle drank it."
Hermione blushed. "I did on the run so we could sneak into the Ministry...and in second year."
"WHAT?" Again several people gasped.
"You brewed one of the most complex potions in second year?" Theo asked.
"When you were twelve?" Pansy gasped as Hermione nodded. "You are too smart. You would be very dangerous to mess with." She looked at Ron as if reminding or warning him.

"Right everyone, ingredients are in the store and textbooks on the desk. Have fun!" Flitwick called.
"And someone make sure Finnegan doesn't blow up his cauldron and burn off his eyebrows," Snape smirked as Seamus groaned and blushed.

Everyone moved off to a cauldron as Ron leaned across and tugged Hermione's cardigan. "Want to be my partner?" He smiled. "It can be like old times?" Hermione looked at him as if trying to figure out if he was as stupid as he sounded. Ron took that as a good sign. "Why I don't I light the fire, and you pick a -"