Wattpad Original
There is 1 more free part

Chapter 18

Selené had spent the last two days walking on eggshells

She didn't want to admit to herself how sad she had been that she had to leave Anya's house and come back to the new house Trey had bought her. What was even worse? He had been there for forty-eight uninterrupted hours. Selené didn't think he had spent more than one full day with her for at least the last three years.

But this week he had been ever present and Selené had been miserable. She never felt like she could even breathe normally with him around. She had to live every second of her life on a stage, second guessing every little action she did. Would he like this outfit? What would he say about the way she did her makeup today? Was she being agreeable enough? Sweet and servile?

Was she keeping his anger away? Why hadn't he done something to her yet? It had to be coming soon.

She reasoned she must have been doing well. He hadn't even blown up at her once. The worst she had gotten were a few demeaning comments. At least there was that to be grateful for.

She sat at the dining room table, looking at a magazine and glancing over to where he sat across from her every now and then. He wasn't paying much attention to her. He was too absorbed in whatever it was he was frowning at in a stack of papers. After a moment, he got up from the chair, but Selené tried to pretend to be absorbed in the glossy images of carefully styled outfits.

He walked around to where she sat, staring down at a particular pink sweater, and sat a small stack of papers in front of her. Afterwards, he laid down a pen on top.

"I need you to sign these." He said casually.

She sat her magazine down and looked up at him.

"Oh. What are they?"

His eyes shot down to her, clearly annoyed that she wasn't just doing whatever he told her to without asking questions. She looked away, deciding to draw back some to not push things too far with him.

"Is it for the wedding?" She asked more gently.

"Yes." He said.

"Is it... okay if I read it before I sign it?"

He rolled his eyes and walked back over to the other side of the table.

"You probably won't understand it. It's not something you need to worry about anyway."

She bit her lip to try and hide her anger and started to look over what he had handed her.

Marriage license. Didn't think you could do that outside of a courthouse but I guess he can do what he wants.

Prenuptial Agreement? It's not like he'd let me leave anyway. I know way too much. Maybe it's for if he wants to leave me? I always figured he'd do worse than divorce me...

Life insurance—

Surprisingly, it wasn't for her, it was for him.

She continued to shuffle through the papers— Last Will and Testament?