in love with a flower

ANISH'S POSTS

ANISH'S POSTS

August 2nd
Friday
3:05 AM

DEAR FORMER FLOWERS,

I've known Anita my entire life as the daughter of my parents' good friend. She was a single child to a single father.

The first time I saw her was when we were 6. At the time, she was a huge fan of a children's show host.

"Anish! did you see the episode yesterday where he played with a teddy bear?"

"No."

"Well, you should watch it! It's so good! The teddy bear was very funny too."

"Not interested."

"But the teddy bear was very funny..."

"Still not interested."

"..."

I had felt a new-found happiness in not getting swayed by her and seeing her shoulders slump, dejected. Nearly a year later, the tv show host announced that he was getting married to another children's show host, who later joined him on his show as a co-anchor. Anita dropped the show, after that.

"It wasn't funny." was her vague explanation, when she was asked about it.

When she was 10 years old, she became a fan of a male lead of a book. It was an action-horror series. I think it would suffice to say that it had less plot and more of 'his jacket swooshed with the wind, he stared at the villain. oh, the villain was good but he, the hero, was better. Hence the villain died.'

What she saw in the male lead, like the tv show host, eluded me. But it was amusing watching her gush about it to her friends at school, to her dad and me.

"Anish! you should read this book!"

"Not interested."

"But the male lead is so cool!"

"Still not interested."

"But he has these action scenes that go like-" she punched the air and then tried to attempt a scissor kick but failed miserably.

"Now, I'm definitely not interested."

Ever since childhood, Anita was used to having her way. What she wished, she got. I was perhaps the only one who didn't do as she willed. Surprisingly, it was me she got closer to, compared to the other kids she played with.

The finale of the book arrived. The female lead was introduced and the ending was male lead living a peaceful life with the female lead in a planet free of villains.

I vividly remember her reading the last few pages of the book. She was at my home (her dad was away due to work) and was lounging on my bed while I played the guitar.