bets & elections

THE WIDE EXPANSE of a blue, cloud-less sky was not enough to soothe the multitude of emotions brimming in Saya

Ravi. Fucking Ravi again.

Their rivalry had started a year back when the election for the class monitor was held. It wasn't an important post, by any means. Just something with a fancy title. But Saya wanted that title. Her record had to be impeccable, for her to even have a chance at going abroad for her higher studies. 

"I promise to uphold discipline and moral conduct." was Saya's election promise. It was simple and wasn't adorned with fancy promises that couldn't be kept. 

And then there was Ravi. Her opponent.

"I promise to buy everyone a bag of chips. Free for everybody."

The entire class began cheering and hooting. A complete contrast from the silence she had received.

"Add in a peach soda!" Someone shouted.

"Done." Ravi grinned, leaning one arm against the teacher's podium. 

Saya stared at him, in disbelief. Disgust filled her. Such people shouldn't be elected to posts that required moral responsibility. 

Her class, however, didn't share the same opinion. The bribery had worked. Ravi won the post of class monitor. She was made the vice class monitor, just so she didn't feel bad and was content. She wasn't. She didn't feel the least bit satisfied. 

As soon as the voting results came out, she rushed to her class teacher and demanded Ravi be disqualified. "It amounts to bribery. That's illegal!"

"There's no law in school that prevents bribery, unfortunately, Saya." Her teacher responded, amused. 

"So I can't contest the legality of it?"

"I don't think so."

Saya's shoulders slumped. There was nothing she could do here. She accepted her vice class monitor post, with resignation.

"Here you go." Ravi shoved in Saya's hands a bag of chips. "I added in the cold coffee tetra can too. You like coffee?"

Saya nodded, warily.

"Good. Then, you'll like this brand."

And he sauntered off, greeting everyone in the corridor. He was an infuriating extrovert. That's what he was. 

But Saya couldn't help but eye him a little more. He was...easy on the eyes. She blinked and shook her head. An infuriating classmate is all he will be. It is all he should be.

Ever since then, he would drop by her desk at some point during the day.

"Did you see the new anime that released on Netflix?"

"No."

"What's your favourite subject?"

"I don't have one."