Eleven

❥ "This one." Alisa pulled out a long, navy blue dress that nearly took my breath away. It was gorgeous, and someone like me definitely shouldn't be wearing it. "Don't just stare, put it on."

I slowly took the dress from Alisa's hands, running my fingers across the sparkly texture. Making my way to the bathroom, I quickly changed into the dress.

It was beautiful. Two straps on each side, one that fell to my shoulders and one that strayed on the tops of them. It was enough to make me forget about Skye Hawthorne's words from the other day.

I know who you are, Evangeline.

I needed answers, but nobody else seemed to want to give them to me. Not Xander, or Grayson, even Jameson.

My own sister wouldn't give me anything.

I knew Avery had her own agenda, like she always had. Even before we came to Hawthorne House she was always off doing her own things. Libby was dealing with her crazy ex as I was dealing with mine.

What the hell is going on around here?

"Need some help?" I snapped my head around to see Thea standing in the doorway. She was already dressed. "I'm great with hair."

"You look nice." Avery said, examining my hair. "I had no idea you knew how to do that with your hair." She traced a finger down a curled lock of my brown hair.

I shrugged. "It wasn't me, it was Thea."

"Thea? Doesn't she—"

"Hate us? That's what I thought." Either way, my hair looked nice. It was a different look for me, but maybe I needed a little different.

"Interesting." Avery leaned back in her seat, seeming to be lost in thought.

"We're almost there." Oren said. "Evelyn, do you need any help getting out of the car?"

I shook my head. "I told you, i'm feeling better. And besides, I have James." I winked at my bodyguard through the mirror, earning a small laugh from him.

"You are something else." Avery dropped her head in disbelief.

The rest of the ride to the party, I was lost in thought. What will I say to the paparazzi? Landon's voice shoots through my ears. You give the bare minimum. Most importantly, don't give them what they want.

Don't give them what they want. "Here." Alisa opened the door on Avery's side, lending her a hand to get out. Seconds later, Oren was opening the door to my side.

As we walked towards the building, lights were flashed in me and Avery's face. People were shouting out questions left and right.

"Avery! What's it like being the youngest billionaire in the world?"

"Evelyn! Is it true you and the heir apparent are seeing each other?"

"Is it true you two conned your way into Hawthorne House?"

"Stop and acknowledge them." Alisa whispered in my ear. Grudgingly, I turned to face the mob of people swarming me with questions. Avery followed.

"Ms. Grambs, how does it feel to own Hawthorne Foundation?" An interviewer placed a microphone up to my face.

"I— it was definitely a shock." Calm and poised. "But i'm very grateful for the opportunity i've been given."

"Avery— becoming the youngest billionaire in the world must be life changing, has this affected your relationship with your sister?"

Avery looked at me and then back at the interviewer. "Of course not," She took my hand and laced our fingers together. "She's my sister. Things are changing, but that never does."