Three

❥ 𝐒𝐋𝐄𝐄𝐏𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐖𝐀𝐒𝐍'𝐓 𝐀𝐍 𝐎𝐏𝐓𝐈𝐎𝐍.

I didn't get much sleep lately anyway— only a couple of hours or so if I was lucky— but now that Eve was here, I wasn't going to rest until we figured out why.

Deep down, I knew that it was possible Eve had a legitimate reason to be here. Toby was in danger. And whoever took him wants something.

But we weren't going to figure that out now— not when Hawthorne House rested in the dark of the night, so I slipped on my shoes and made my way through the halls.

Sometimes, I had to blink and tell myself I was really here. Avery wasn't living in my car with me, and we were stable. Libby was with Nash, not drake. And I wasn't with my dickhead ex either.

Well, I am with an asshole now, so what difference does it really make?

The pool was lit with blue lights at this hour, casting a glow upon this part of Hawthorne House. In it, Grayson Davenport Hawthorne swam, his back contorting into different positions with each stroke.

I sat down on the edge of the pool, dipping my feet into the water. I shivered, even though the water barely grazed my ankles.

Grayson swam around for a little while longer, oblivious to my presence. Or maybe he knew I was there, but had no intention of talking about all of the things that needed to be talked about.

Eventually, he came up for air and made eye contact with me. Even now, in the dark, Grayson's eyes were impossible to look away from. Silver eyes that looked slightly blue in this lighting.

"You're up," Grayson said.

I was never sleeping. "A lot to think about." I was always thinking. One step ahead. That was why me and Grayson worked so well together. Avery and Jameson were always the risk takers— and while they had that luxury, Grayson and me were the ones who made sure they didn't go too far.

He looked after Jameson. I looked after Avery.

So could we really look after each other?

"Isn't there always?" Grayson read my mind, as always. One thing he had gotten increasingly good at over the months we'd spent together.

"Have you talked to Eve?" I asked.

Grayson's jaw clenched. "Don't do that, Evelyn."

"Do what?" stay calm. "By the way, you can't call me Eve anymore. Too much confusion, right?" I was being nasty— and maybe too harsh on Eve, but I couldn't stand it. It was something in the way he looked at her.

That drunken look. First Emily. Now Eve.

Maybe I was just scared that would never be me.

"You're being too harsh." Graysons voice softened. "You saw her, Ev. She came here in bruises. I mean, we have to help her. She's Toby's daughter."

"I know, but how do we know if we can really trust her? She—"

"We can." There was no question in Graysons voice, he had made up his mind. Eve was trustworthy after less than a day. "She's not a threat." That was finale.

To him, at least. Not me.

"Do you really think so?" a pathetic laugh slipped through my mouth. "Because, if i'm certain, it took you a pretty long time to trust me or my sister."

I couldn't look at him. Because I knew Grayson well enough by now to know he wasn't going to change how he felt. But neither would I, so I guess we both were loosing.

I lifted my feet out of the pool, stood up, and walked back into Hawthorne House.

"Hawthorne baking is a right of passage," Xander explained to a i-could-not-care-less Eve. Maybe she was plotting ways to take this place down from the inside— or even better—

Stop it.

"Evelyn, do you really not want to help out? This is our thing!" Xander pleaded with his eyes at me, but right now I couldn't focus on baking. I would most definitely burn something.

"I'm okay," I said, raising up a hand. "Really, i'm not feeling it right now is all."

Xander knew I wasn't going to give in, so he started mixing ingredients together, Max right at his side.

Eve took that as an opportunity to slid right next to me at the counter. I side eyed her.

"So," Eve said, "I feel like we haven't really talked yet." Yet? As if we were going to talk?

"I've been busy," I said.

From the corner of my eye, Eve looked taken aback. You have to at least try and be nice, Evelyn.

I turned to face Eve, and for the first time I really got a good look at her. She looked just like Emily. Even I had a hard time looking away.

Imagine Jameson and Grayson.

Eve sighed. "I don't want to cause any trouble. I know you don't want me here."

Was it that obvious? "No, um, that's not true. I'm just," ANGRY YOU ARE HERE. "having a hard time with something... personal, lately."

Eve nodded her head, but she didn't look convinced. And maybe I didn't want her too, because even if Avery was willing to let her in, I wanted her to know whatever she was planning wouldn't get past me.

God— I think I need therapy.

"Can I ask you something?" Eve said.

There was no point in denying her. "Shoot your shot." I swung my feet back and forth like a child while waiting for her response.

"Are you and Grayson.." Eves voice faltered, "together?"

Oh God.

"Um, yeah, actually." What was her motive? "Why?"

Eve shrugged and laid back into her seat. "No reason."

a/n:

lacking on my reading goal this month.. spring break is gonna save me. smh 🤦🏻‍♀️