Thirteen

❥ I am so done with life.

After me and Avery's fight, I requested a leave, which Oren was more than happy to oblige for. Matthew was escorted off the premises and will be restrained for the time being.

So here I am, hours later, trying to figure out a puzzle I can't solve. Evangeline. What does that mean? It was at least three in the morning, but I wasn't going to sleep until I could figure this out.

Even if I did know Tobias Hawthorne growing up, and even if I once lived here, what does that mean about Avery? Libby? What if I was related to the Hawthorne Boys?

Oh gosh.

Graysons hands in my hair— his lips on my neck—

A shiver ran down my spine, but I pushed the thought to the back of my head. I didn't have time to be thinking about Grayson, or any of the Hawthorne Brothers.

There was a soft knock at the door, and I ran to open it with no hesitation. I already knew who it was. There was only one person who would be up this late— after all.

"Ms. Grambs."

"Jameson."

"Ouch, no nickname for me? Here I thought we were making progress." Jameson held a hand up to his heart, pretending to be hurt.

"What, do you want?" I said, leaning against the door and crossing my arms.

"Relax," Jameson smirked. "I found something."

My interest peaked. "About—"

"The letter." So Jameson had been looking. I knew he was too quiet when I showed him the letter Tobias Hawthorne left for me. Jameson held his hand out to me, and after a brief eternity, I took it.

Leading me down the halls and into a room, Jameson held out a large blue light flashlight. "Ready?"

I nodded.

Jameson flashed the light against the wall, and hundreds of words appeared before me. Phrases, quotes, and just.. words. So many of them.

"Eyes over here." Jameson pointed to a word on the wall, and I instinctively moved closer to get a better look. When the words came into view, confusion was the only feeling in my body.

"Grant." I read the words off the wall.

"Does that ring a bell?" Jameson moved closer to me, examining my face.

"No. How did you even figure this out?"

"Me and Avery have been digging, but she's not up to it at the moment."

Awkward.

"That might be my fault." I confessed. "We got into it at the party tonight."

"About what you found?"

"Yeah." I place my hands on the table in front of us, leaning forward. "She doesn't want to believe it, but I think she knows something."

"So does Grayson." I whipped my head over to Jameson when the words Grayson left his mouth. "Did you tell him?"

I shook my head. "Nope, he found out." And then he kissed me, but I left that part out.

"I think you should talk to him." Those were the last words I expected to leave Jameson's mouth. He was the secretive one, the hungry one. His work was his work, so whatever was going on between him and Avery must be that bad.

Awkward, again.

"Why?"

"Because he's not okay. I talked to him earlier and he told me everything, Evelyn." Everything. "The letter, Evangeline, and you."