2|| Tea

"Hey, Jia? Are you okay?" Calista waved her hand in front of my face, brows furrowed and bottom lip jutting out in a small pout. "You have not taken a single bite of your strawberry cake!"

Jia is allergic to strawberries, you sad excuse of a friend. I forced a tight smile and pushed away my plate. "Here, you can have it. I'm just... saving up for my mango drink."

Calix scoffed and leaned back, his slightly long fringe flopped over his forehead as he glared at me. "How is it possible for a single person to be so obsessed with something?"

"I could say the same about you." I smirked with a pointed glance at the metal sword strapped to his side. He never went anywhere without that thing- and I mean anywhere. "You couldn't have left it at home for this date?"

Calista choked on her tea and slammed her fist down on the table to glare at me with wide eyes. "Jia! This is not a date. I've already told you that Cal and I are just friends. There will never be anything going on between us!" What a way to rub salt into the wound after twisting the knife, right?

Calix's hands curled into fists and he hunched over, jaw clenched as he released a deep exhale through his nose. "Yeah, nothing will ever go on between us."

Wow, I really wish I'd chosen somewhere else to sit. Literally anywhere else. It would have been far better than sitting in between the two densest idiots I've ever encountered.

Not only that, but my self-confidence crumpled the longer I stayed glued to my chair. Spectators would stare with parted lips and redness coating their cheeks at Calista's radiant smile or fawn over Calix's icy demeanour, but a confused frown would crease their foreheads when they dropped down to me. Some even ignored me as if I was some sort of potted, plastic plant that all households forgot about eventually.

It was rather insulting. Jia wasn't unattractive- quite the contrary, in fact. Dark brown hair pinned into an elaborate updo with an emerald dragonfly pin, soft brown eyes, and delicate features that were common in her homeland, she would have been considered a beauty had she not been placed next to Calista all the time. She also had the rotten luck to be born foreign in a xenophobic society. I'd had to hold back from cracking more than a few racists' jaws while in this body.

But it was the role she was destined to play. And it was my job to make sure she played it.

Ding!

I stifled a groan and swallowed past the thick knot at the bottom of my throat. Turning my neck, I squinted at the notification.

WARNING

YOU HAVE NOT STARTED THE CHALLENGE

START CHALLENGE IN 60 SECONDS

PENALTY: DEATH!

Crack!

"Jia!" Calista exclaimed, leaping from her seat. The scent of vanilla and jasmine washed over me as she leaned closer. "Your hand!"

"It's fine," I gritted out, uncurling my fist. A sharp fissure appeared in the wood, a stark contrast to the swirling contours. It's getting harder to control my powers.

"It's not fine!" Calista's fingers brushed against my knuckles and her blue eyes filled with tears. "You're hurt!"

"I'll live," I snapped, pulling away from her touch. "Now, sit here with Calix. I'm going to get my drink." The bastard who coded this psychotic system better pray they never run into me.

"But–"

"I said sit!" Pushing away from the table, the legs screeched in agony against the tiled floor. I crossed over to the counter.

"Enjoy your drink, my lady!" A man far too happy for such a sweltering day smiled and pushed over a tall, glass cup.

"Thank you," I muttered, dropping a few coloured notes on the counter and gripping the chalice, which cooled my inflamed skin.

He spluttered about how this was too much for a simple drink, but I waved him off with a disinterested shake of my head. I'd never bothered to learn the currency system after my third or fourth story- what was the point? I would never stay long enough to reap the rewards, anyways.

I flapped my hands in a desperate attempt to keep cool, leaning against the marbled table and sipped my wonderful drink through the paper straw.

Although small, the café was quite lovely with its many windows framed against azure walls that allowed shafts of golden light to stream through. Customers drifted between the cool interior- courtesy of the magic stones that nearly all fantasy novels seemed to possess- and the sunny exterior. Their mindless chatter washed over me, and I allowed myself to sink deeper into relaxation.

Ding!

Challenge started!

Quality time left:

3 hours 20 minutes 20 seconds

Alright, this was good. I'd avoided my first death flag. Now all I needed to do was quietly slip away–

Ding!

What now?

WARNING

A waitress is about to trip and spill boiling tea over 'Calista'!

Stop this now before the quality time gets interrupted!

My drink sloshed over the sides as I banged it against the counter. I whirled around and spotted a red-head with pigtails turning her head as someone called her name. Her foot twisted and her tray went flying towards Calista–

No!

I released a bit of my power and lunged forwards. Scales erupted around my hand and hardened into a purple shield as I swatted the cup away. A few droplets splashed on my arm and I sucked in a gasp, tears swarming to my eyes. It's okay. It's okay. I'm okay. I'm alive. I'm alive.

"Ah!" Calix leaped to his feet. "Be careful!"

Oh? "I'm fine, thank you for your concern–"

"Cally! Are you hurt?" He leaned over a curled-up Calista, who had tears streaming down her cheeks despite not a single drop of tea landing on her. His hand rested on the hilt of his sword and he rounded on the young server with a scowl that could curdle milk.

"Madame, I am so sorry!" The waitress' eyes slid over me and landed on Calista. "I- I didn't see you there!" Wow.

"It's okay." Calista let out a slow breath, looking up with such a pretty smile that warmed the shop by a few degrees. "Cal, I'm fine, I promise. L-let's just drop this and go somewhere else, okay?"

Calix melted and a twinkle appeared in his bloodthirsty eyes.

This world is full of tosswaffles. I thought, digging my nails into my arm to try and numb the pain. I can't do this anymore.

A wave of bitterness swept over me as I saw people fussing over the main character, but I forced it down with a tight smile. I'm okay. I'm alive.

"Calista," I forced out. "If you have recovered enough, perhaps you should go with Lord Calix on a walk? I've heard that fresh air can do wonders for the mind and soul!"

Just gotta push through a little longer. Just a little bit longer.

*************************************

Total word count: 2907

I hope you guys liked it!

Stay safe and thanks for reading :)