9|| Steal

"Could they be the target?"

I looked over and blew out a breath through my nose. "No, they're wearing an engagement ring."

"What about that one?"

"No, his outfit is too gaudy."

"We've been at this for ages," Rowan groaned, sliding a hand down his face. "Are you even sure this guy exists?"

"One hour, to be exact," I muttered, scraping off the melted dredges of my third mango ice cream. "And yes, I'm sure. Why are you worried, anyways? It's my neck on the line if this goes south."

"I have my reasons." He pointed at my empty bowl. "Want another one? I'll pay."

"Nah, it's okay." I sighed in content. "I've missed mangoes so much."

"You didn't have them in your last story?"

I shook my head. "I was actually deathly allergic to mangoes. Yeah, it's how I died in the end and got transported here."

"Wait, you died?" His jaw dropped. "Do you— do you know what happened to the body afterwards, Mango?"

I shrugged, trying to mask my curiosity behind nonchalance. "No, and I don't really care. I try not to think about what happens to the original soul when I enter the body— it might drive me mad."

A movement outside the window caught my eye and I sat up straighter, activating my dragon's sight to peer through the burning sunlight.

"Hey, Dreamer, look here." I jutted my chin out. "It's the main leads— Calista and Calix."

"Calista and Calix?" His nose scrunched up. "Wow, the author wasn't messing around with this whole fated love idea. Can you see where they're going?"

I craned my neck, tapping my foot on the ground. "I think they're going into the clothing store— wait! I've found him!"

"The second male lead?" His head whipped around. "How do you know it's him?"

"No author would waste such good looks on a mere side character."

A young man— perhaps just older than Jia— had stopped on the street opposite to the café and was staring at his surroundings in faint wonder as he fumbled with a novel in his hands. His blonde hair curled at the tips and swept over emerald green eyes set into a rather angular face. He was quite lanky, but must have come from a background of large enough wealth to afford the tailored, dark blue waistcoat, and matching trousers with a gold pocket watch that I would bet the Cloak of Secrets on had a tragic backstory behind it.

I kept my eye on him, my muscles were coiled up and prepared to propel me into the street the second I saw him interacting with the leads. Excitement thrummed through me and I had to force myself to calm down before I accidentally set the place on fire. The metal spoon bent into an awkward shape beneath my fingers.

"Oh come on now." Rowan rolled his eyes. "This is just getting ridiculous! It's not fair for the main characters to keep an entire cast's worth of attractiveness for themselves. Sure, beauty is subjective, but still. This buff is having severe knock-on effects on my confidence."

I chuckled and arched a brow. "Were you at least handsome in your original body?"

"This is my original body."

"...Oh."

"Am I not handsome?" His lips tugged down and his voice took on a sad tone.

"That's not what I meant!" My cheeks warmed from the flush that was surely spreading across them, and I was thankful Jia's darker complexion masked it. "You are, I suppose, rather attractive f–from certain perspectives and, uh, I'm sorry. I didn't know it's your original body."