10|| Dress

He tensed and turned away, lips pursed in a thin line. Rowan swallowed, his voice smaller than I'd ever heard it before when he spoke, "I–"

"Oh, Jia! Thank goodness you're alright!" Calista appeared in my vision, her comforting vanilla scent washed over me. She grabbed my arm and tried to wrench me free– perhaps for a hug?– but Rowan's grasp remained strong.

"No," he muttered, so low that only I could hear him. "Not again."

"Lady Jia." With an expression like he was sucking on a lemon, Calix glared down at Rowan. "Do you know this man?"

"Y—yeah, he's an old friend." A headache started to split my skull and I winced, pressing the area.

"Um, excuse me?" A quiet voice piqued up. The second male lead. "I think I can help."

Calista squinted in suspicion, forming a sort of barrier between me and the man who spoke. "And who are you?"

"My name is Eric." He bowed, the sun-kissed strands of his hair swept over his brow. "I believe the lady requires a cool, refreshing drink and some space. Erm, if the gentleman could please let go of her so she may stand?"

Rowan hesitated, the panic in his eyes still hadn't subsided, but his grip relented. Using Calista for support, I pulled myself up and tried to quell the sudden nausea which swept over me.

"I'll go get something for you," Calista whispered, giving my hand a comforting squeeze. "You like the strawberry drink, correct?" At this point, I think she's just trying to kill me.

"Oh for heaven's sake," Rowan snapped, pushing her away. "Are you still not aware that she is allergic to strawberries? Or are you so far up your own—"

"Hey," Calix cut in, his tone as sharp as freshly cut steel. He gripped the hilt of his sword. "Watch what you say next."

Rowan opened his mouth, no doubt to say some scathing remark, but I stepped on his foot and shot him a warning look. This would have all been for naught if he got himself killed now.

He flinched, then his shoulders dropped in reluctant defeat. "I apologise, Lady Calista, if you felt like my words were harsh. I was simply worried for my friend."

"And I don't feel like eating anything right now." I turned to Eric, choosing my next words with care. "Thank you for your kind words, Lord Eric."

"Oh, please, it's just Eric." A slight flush crept up his neck as he adjusted his thin-framed spectacles. This man's looks are bad for my heart. "I have no official title yet."

"Yet?" I feigned curiosity, squeezing Rowan's arm.

"Oh, um, I'm hoping to take the civil services exam this month and become an advisor in the palace." He stopped, glancing at Calista with a slightly awestruck expression. Oh boy. "Actually, I was looking for a reputable clothing store so that I could make a good first impression, but I am rather lost. Would you be so kind as to point me in the right direction, please?"

"Oh!" I gestured to my right. "Our esteemed Lord Calix here leads the Royal—" A hard jab in the ribs from Rowan. "— I mean, Imperial Army. There is no one in the whole city who could help you better than he can."

"Is that so?" Eric muttered, still not taking his eyes off Calista and clearly enamoured with her beauty. Careful dude, your inner creep is showing. "I was hoping the lady could show me around? I believe we have... much to talk about."

Wait, do they already know each other?

Calista brushed her golden hair over her shoulders and let out a woeful sigh. "As much as I would love to help you, I'm afraid I need to stay with my dear friend. We also need to go shopping, after all."