chapter ten: a blooming queen

Roshanak now slept alone in her chambers, as after the wedding's effect was over, Sikander returned to the solace of his room. It wasn't something unnatural but usual among the royals. Her parents too slept separately. It kept the peace intact, especially since most marriages, as Roshanak knew now, were devoid of true love.

After the massacre that reduced her father's autonomy and killed her lover, she had come to dread slumber. Often she would gasp and quake in the middle of sleep, staying wide awake all night. The fact that she was alone didn't help either. She didn't require Sikander; he could help her by giving company, but she really just could do with anyone who would listen to her. The very thought made her remember the hazarahpatish.

Hridayank was a man, but Roshanak's intuitive heart found a delicate connection with him akin to what she would cradle for another woman. Euphemia seemed friendly, but too scared to dive deeper, and Odile was hard to crack. Ptolemy and Craterus wouldn't be interested in even an intellectual conversation. Her interaction with Perdiccas was friendly, but Roshanak had found it uneasy and out of place. Maybe he was trying to break the barriers but she had never been so humorous with a man on first meeting.

The birds quipped and a few sparrows hopped on her balcony. It was a serene morning, and Roshanak lay awake on bed. Stretching her arms and yawning, she got down and changed her attire. It felt strange to have such an imposing and lavish room. It was perfect for a queen, resplendent in earthy brown and sunny golden. Even the mirror was bordered with gold. Famous queens, like Humati, for whom Nebuchadnezzar the Great had created the Hanging Gardens of Babylon, or Cassandane, the wife of Cyrus the Great used to live here. She didn't know if her husband would be great. Because if he wasn't remembered by history, she would be forgotten too.

In a way, all did crumble to dust, but Roshanak's heart tickled with fancy at the thought of being rejoiced by people beyond her death.

"Maybe few women have that fortune."

A servant came and informed that the bath was prepared. Before she went there, Odile came.

"Since the festivities are over, you are going to now eat with us. Sikander may invite you if he feels like, but the Shahamsaram usually has her own audience."

Roshanak knew it meant she was to join Odile after the bath. So after she was done, she reached immediately.

Waiting for her were Odile and Euphemia, along with another wrinkled woman. The latter two stood up and bowed, welcoming the Shahamsaram.

"Let the food be served," Odile ordered. Various flatbread like lavash, topped with honey and butter cubes were the first to be brought. Accompanying the bread was khoresh, a form of stew and sohan asali, a type of candied nuts. These were typical Persian dishes. The Shah's family, even though from Macedonia, had embraced this culture.

"The people are pleased to have a queen." Odile began the conversation. "Roshanak, you must do something for them. Maybe distribute alms among the poor or throw a feast. I leave it up to you."

"I think I would start with distribution of alms."

Odile was being strictly formal, and Roshanak appreciated it.

"Oh, let me introduce you to Phila," Odile gestured at the third woman. Roshanak smiled at her amicably. "She is the wife of Craterus, whom you may already know. She is the daughter of a Macedonian warrior and a woman of high intellect."

"My blessings for you, Shahamsaram. May you bring glory to your family." Phila's voice was hoarse and deep like gushing waterfalls. "You may address me as just Phila."

"Pleased to make your acquaintance."

"Both Phila and Craterus helped me immensely in securing the position of Sikander as the heir apparent," Odile said. "Since now you are in the family, I better inform you that Sikander had rivals and still has them. One of them being Titus, my late husband's half-brother. He is physically disabled and thus, in my opinion, unfit to rule."