author's note

I think I am brave.

Yes, really! I have always been scared of writing historical fiction based on real life people. There's a thought, a spiritual one, that tells me I may end up hurting the souls if I write anything wrong. It's why I stay away from direct references. Although this time, I did make things pretty clear.

My fascination with Alexander (would not like to call him the great for now) began when I was around 18, or so, can't remember the age accurately. But I remember the moment– I was reading this biography of him, and landed on the page where he told Sisygambis that 'Hephaestion too is Alexander' when the old woman (she was the Kandake in real life, the mother of Darius III whom Alexander had defeated) mistook Hephaestion for the king, allegedly because he was 'dressed the same' and 'was more handsome'.

This moment gave birth to my love for Alexander. Since then, I have read and searched everywhere to know about him, but the more I did, the more I realised that did rarely someone talk about him as a person and not achievements. That means, Hephaestion, Roshanak, Sisygambis and Sitara, they were lost too.

What followed was a crazy journey. I believe we can tap into souls. As a woman, I should have expected myself to take inspiration from Joan of Arc and Lakshmi Bai, but although I admire those women with my blood, I couldn't connect my heart. So, surprisingly I tapped into history with a foolish desire to understand these humans, who lived once, as emotions and wishes, and I penned down stories.

Where Kings Can't Rule, my 2022 ONC entry, had me reimagine Alexander and Sitara(or Stateira, as more commonly known). I wouldn't say it was any historical fiction for THEM, as in a direct retelling of their lives, but it was just a story based on 'what if?'– I tried to see how the energies would fit in. I read texts that glorified and also looked down upon Alexander, and I took the latter, tried to create a man out of the speculations and theories made by the historians, and wrote something. It was a desire to give life to Stateira too, about whom nobody talks about. (Except Plutarch who just added unnecessary spice to his work on Alexander. Meh. No doubt I ALWAYS forget his name. I guess the souls of the dead are REALLY pissed on this man)

This time, I wanted to go away from fantasy. Where Kings Can't Rule, in a way, had nothing but inspiration from emotional aspects. Like how you would read about Darcy in Pride and Prejudice and create a contemporary high school romance, with a character inspired from Darcy. Plain inspiration.

But with Sikander, Don't Die, I took a little bit more from history.

Like the dance of Roshanak. The questionable relationships. The unacceptance by the men. Olympia as a woman ahead of her time, hated by the dumb men (yeah). The hidden enemies of Hephaestion and his mysterious death. We still don't know who killed him. We still don't. But how can a man just die after eating food? To those who say it was ulcer or whatever, I refuse to accept. It was poisoning.

Then came Alexander's madness. In the expanded version, we will see more of it. And Perdiccas...eh, I have read minutely and although he did questionable things, no one exactly knows (again) why Alexander died. First and foremost comes too much of alcohol. But the last moments of his death(and his so-called last words) have made me suspect Perdiccas. That's why we don't have any Cassander in here. He's a villain in the real story, but for me everybody was villain. There has been focus on Cassander by other people so I chose not to go there.

All I can say is, these are my attempts at understanding the lovely people who lived once. For now, it's strange, but I can't write about any other historical figure even if I try. I just keep on exploring the shades of Alexander and his family. It's a sort of madness too!

And then, I also took inspiration from The Song of Achilles. Alexander himself was so very respectful of Achilles and wanted to become him. He did become him, although I don't think he loved the way it happened. Alexander and Achilles have so many similarities in their stories that it scares me how someone can reflect their idol so much.

That's all I want to say for now. I hope Alexander, wherever he is, and Hephaestion, Roshanak, Olympia– everyone is happy, and they bless me. It is my sincere attempt at understanding them as humans and not objects at museums. I am tired of reading the victories of Alexander and not about his heart. I am tired of seeing the women being cast aside and not given a book of their own. That's why here we only get to see from Roshanak's perspective and that of Hridayank. They were both ignored by history.

Like what man, maybe Hephaestion didn't have enough medals as a warrior but he was always entrusted sensitive diplomatic and political stuff, and given leadership positions too(hello, he was the man just after the king). He was a man of brains, okay, and also handsome. Doesn't mean he needs to be weak. Such stupid people. The same goes for Patroclus. He is kind but he is strong. Kindness IS STRENGTH.

I am just rambling on now XD hope you guys aren't tired. And I hope you all have enjoyed this book! I will continue this again after the ONC ends because this is another Ode to history ❤️✨

Before ending, I would like to give some ONC recommendations (in no particular order)!

Love, Dad by EvelynHail

Stone 2 Stone by evacharya

The Escaped Con's Hostage by annkreeves

Heer's Imperial Gambit by Divyansh16

The Dancing Goddess by ramayantika

Chimera by empiresofwater

Don't Look Back by Carolyn_Hill

Lilith Versus the Seven Demon Gods by AnnamitaMuscaria

It's a small list and I have many more stories in my reading list, which you can check out! In case you have recommendations too, drop them here and tag the author. Let's support!

Before going, can you all tell me what you all cherish or love the most about this book? What caught your heart?

Eager to read your comments ❤️