[67]

December 5th, fourteen twenty.

When the sun had peeked over the horizon, Parvati woke the others and began breakfast. She sent Luz off to go herd the chickens back into the barn (which was unlocked and Luz had found a glaring Paco and a sleeping mouse in front of him,) and asked her to bring back six eggs.

Amity was sent to get buckets of water, and Hunter was treated for his wounds. "Thank you, Ms. Sankar." Hunter spoke softly.

"Ah, it's nothing." Parvati said, gently tugging on his bandages and tucking the loose end into the pocket. "Are you taking Luz home today?"

"Yes. We have to prepare, and there isn't much time left." Hunter lowered his head, meeting Parvati's gaze. "I.. Can tell you're worried.."

Parvati shook her head lightly, "No not at all.."

"I promise to keep Luz safe.." Hunter rose his hand, wiping her tears. "She would hate to make you upset, Parvati.."

She sniffled, nodding, "I just wish she hadn't been banished.."

"Things happen for a reason..And while not the most ideal course of action, Luz was able to grow with us.. She's gotten much stronger, her bond with her steed has grown, and she's able to love you more." Hunter spoke softly. "She will return to you the second the war is over. I promise."

Parvati sighed, wiping her tears, "I hope so.." She stood. "Help me start breakfast or Luz will think you did something to me.."

"Of course." Hunter stood. "I'm happy to help."

^°•^°•^°•^°•^°•^°•^°•^°•^°•^°•^°•^°•^°•^

That afternoon, Luz said goodbye.

She held Parvati tightly, apologized, and left. Amity bid Parvati farewell, and joined Hunter and Luz. What none of them accounted for, or ever hoped to think, but that would be the last time they would see Parvati.

Luz wouldn't have left if that were the case. For she would never leave Parvati alone if danger lurked nearby. Hours later, the trio, and the horses, reached The Empire. "You have to go now, Amity. I will send for you before the war."

Amity sighed, hugging Luz. "I'm trusting you to come home, Luz.."

"I know." The knight hugged her back tightly. "I know."

"..I..I don't want you to..Go.." Amity spoke softly, burrowing her nose in Luz's shoulder. "I just..Want us to be somewhere safe.."

Luz's lip quivered, the knight lifting her princess up, "I know, Amity.." Luz whispered. "But I do this so others can have that life.."

Amity clenched her fists, ears drooping, "But what about ours?" She sniffled, drawing back to look at Luz. "Does that not matter as well..?"

Luz kissed her forehead, breathing out softly against her skin. "Of course it does..There is nothing I want more than to be in your arms every hour of every day..But if I don't do this, then no one can have the love we do.."

Beads of tears rolled down Amity's face, the princess shaking her head lightly, "Is it selfish of me to want us to be okay..?"

"Of course not..You're entitled to wish for something too.." Luz took Amity's hands, bringing them up and kissing her knuckles. "My Darling, I can not provide you what you ask for right now..I will, soon. I will return to you before the war, and then, you and I can spend the time together. I will return here, and fight. When the fog has lifted, I will send for you, and be in my rightful place next to you."

Amity sobbed, Luz pulling her closer, nestling her nose into Amity's neck. "H-icc-" Amity choked out, hold tightening. "Ngh-"

Luz felt her own eyes sting with tears, a single blink causing them to pool and drip down to Amity's dress. "For you, I will push through all my fights.. Through all my injuries..Through all my fears.." Luz sniffled. "This isn't goodbye, Amity..It's a..See you soon.."

"S..ee you soon..Luz.."

For several minutes, they stayed still, taking in eachother's warmth, the feel of their hug, and the subtle scents. The feather touches now felt like strong holds, a silent plea to stay despite knowing what would happen.

Gelato whinnied softly, stepping in between them, "I hate to interrupt, but the sun is not on our side.." He turned to the burning star. "If we are not home soon, the clouds will settle around us.."

Luz caressed Amity's cheek, kissing her briefly, but wishing it lasted a lifetime. "I love you, Amity..I'll see you very soon.."

"I love you more, Luz.." Amity squeezed her hands. "I..I want to see you in no more than a week-!"

"I can do that." Luz kissed her hands. "I can definitely do that."

The sight of Amity leaving felt like a dagger going through Luz's heart, digging itself deep, twisting in unnatural ways to get the deepest and most sensitive place in her heart. Luz's heart belonged to Amity, and it was being handed back.

For now. And for now, it would remain locked til Amity presented herself as the key.

Tis, the adventure continues.