Tip 1: be ready to head the truth

The doorbell rang three times while I was setting the dining table

The doorbell rang three times while I was setting the dining table. I looked at the wall clock, it was 8:00 PM sharp. I was not done yet! I looked around me but my husband was not in the living room. Probably still in Clara's room. Last time I saw him, he was trying to put the mini demon to sleep.

"Babe!" I called while going back in the kitchen to bring the wine. "I think they're here, could you please go open the door?"

I heard Samuel's footsteps and later the door opening. I took a quick glance at my reflection on the chrome surface of the fridge doors. My affro bun was not so bad, but the red lipstick I found nice when buying it didn't seem to fit with my dark brown skin anymore. And hell, that sheath dress was showcasing too much of curves! There was no time left to change it, so I would have to go with it. I straightened my dress, took a deep breath and went to meet them in the living room. With a bright smile, I pulled in my arms the gorgeous woman that held the position of my best friend.

"Nina!" I squeezed her tighter. I missed her so much! It has been three years since we last met, and even though we called and chatted almost everyday, it still felt like it's been decades.

I pulled her away to look at her. Nina's brown skin seemed lighter than before, and she dyed her extra short hair in a greyish purple. Her cherry red lips parted in a smile, making her eyes look smaller behind her round glasses. She still had her model figure, beautifully wrapped in a sleeveless electric yellow dress that marked her waist and fell lightly around her hips and towards her ankles. She has been my best friend since college, and I've always been a little jealous of her perfect body.

"As beautiful as ever, huh!" I teased her as we went to sit on the couch.

"Same thing for you," she lightly hit me with her shoulder. "And seems maternity made you glow up!"

A light chuckle escaped my mouth. What would she say if she knew my so-called glow was more due to a tummy control shapewear and an improvised make up? Not that I was not happy with our beautiful Clara, but... Even before the pregnancy I was already self conscious about my not so woauh body, and I gained two more sizes since. Not that I was ugly or anything, but I was no match with Nina. I barely managed to get my ass in that size 46 sheath dress.

Samuel, cleared his throat, and that's when I noticed the man standing next to him. It was a man with short blond hair and dark brown eyes. He was a few centimetres shorter than Samuel, and wearing a black suit on a light blue shirt. His amused smile made me feel so bad. What an awful host I made! I was so happy to see Nina again, I completely forgot about her being accompanied.

"Missa, let me introduce you to James, my fiancé!" Nina stood and slid her hand under his arm. She seemed really happy, and I was happy for her. After years of being single and her family pressuring her to get married and have children, she finally met someone who loved her and agreed to  travel half around the world to meet her family.