5 - False God

Yin hauled the blue battery into the Gas Production Zone. DogDay stopped and stood in front of the console, eyes wide. "Woah. I knew CatNap breathed this stuff but... there's so much!"

Yin dragged the battery to the right side of the room, ready to finish what he'd been told to start. DogDay followed behind.

Yin approached the blue power socket. DogDay heard something behind the door.

The door opened and a large purple paw slammed the blue battery to the floor.

"ANGEL, RUN!" DogDay yelled.

Yin backed away from the red cloud CatNap poured into the room. He looked around for DogDay but didn't see him. The gas smelled sweet and heavy, filling his skull with bees.

Yin turned and ran to the other end of the room toward a dim light. The light was a button he slammed both hands onto. A lift gate opened and Yin ran in, shutting the door as CatNap emerged from the smoke.

Yin backed as far as he could against the wall. The gas was making him see things, he knew CatNap wasn't that big or disjointed, but the clack of his claws against the fence and those piercing white eyes were as real as Yin's pounding heart.

The hunt was over. Now the cat was ready to pounce.

--

Yin shoved the last battery into the console. The outlet overloaded and electricity arced from its center. Yin hoped the GrabPack could handle it.

Just as he touched the outlet, CatNap dropped from the overhead vent and knocked Yin back.

The overloaded hand made Yin's arm tingle. He aimed at the predator looming over him and launched the green hand.

It shot from the GrabPack like a bullet, latching onto CatNap's shoulder and making him shudder from the electrical shock.

CatNap slumped to the floor. He exhaled his gas and reached toward Yin. The electricity ignited the gas. CatNap burst into flames. He writhed and wailed, clawing at his head.

Yin got his knees underneath himself, ready to run while CatNap was distracted, but then something caught both his and CatNap's eye.

Backlit by the overhead vent light, a large hand with long metal fingers descended.

Yin froze. 

CatNap looked up in awe. The hand of his god reached out to him. He shuffled himself around to kneel before his savior, arms lifted in reverence.

All at once, everything Yin knew of the Prototype cascaded through his mind. It was conniving and cruel, and even the monsters here rightly feared it. Nothing close to it, human or toy, survived.

It wasn't going to help. It wasn't going to help CatNap.

Yin jumped to his feet.

The metal hand tensed into a sharp spear.

Yin fired his remaining hand at CatNap, grabbing the side of his jaw. Yin pulled hard.

The Prototype's hand gouged across CatNap's head and ripped off his ear.

Instantly CatNap's focus was on Yin. He hooked the GrabPack cable and dragged Yin forward before pinning him under his unsheathed claws.

The toy's weight crushed the breath from Yin's chest. Claws cracked the GrabPack shell and dug into his sides. The cat's blood dripped down his face and splashed onto the floor. Still, Yin pointed up at the Prototype and signed "liar" over and over.

"You DARE!!" CatNap roared, "Heretic!" He raised a paw, ready to tear Yin apart.

Five needle fingers pierced through CatNap's shoulder near his neck.