5.75 - Respite

"Angel, you're bleeding!"

Yin looked down, following DogDay's worried eyes aimed at his chest. A spot of red over his ribs was spreading through his shirt. He pulled at the fabric, sending a twinge of pain down his side along with a trail of blood. Lifting his shirt revealed a claw scratch about the length of his hand.

CatNap must have done it when he pinned Yin down. The scratch was pretty deep and still bleeding but he felt almost nothing. He dabbed at the blood running down his stomach.

DogDay came close and inspected the wound, a concerned whine leaking from his throat. "I-I think I saw a first aid kit somewhere in here. Stay here, I'll be right back." He started off, then stopped and turned. "Um... you and CatNap will be alright for a bit, right?"

Yin looked over at the purple cat. He was sat by the gas control panel with his paws tucked under him; a very boney and angular lavender loaf. He was staring at the air, white pupils dim.

Yin gave DogDay a thumbs up. DogDay nodded and hastily left through one of the side doors.

Yin lowered his shirt and picked up the blue battery to finally put it in place. He did so and went back to the console.

CatNap stared at him. Yin met his gaze and blinked slowly. CatNap glanced away. Yin found himself bemused; apparently even this vague imitation of a cat still adhered to some actual cat behaviors.

Yin hit the button and the gas was finally diverted. He let out a sigh and again looked at CatNap, wondering if he should try to strike up conversation or leave the cat to his thoughts.

He chose conversation. "Penny for your thoughts."

CatNap took a moment to register Yin's signs and another moment to speak. "I am... hungry."

"The Prototype won't stop you from eating anymore."

Slowly, CatNap's head lifted and his pupils shone a bit brighter. "Yes..." He stood and went back into Playcare.

Yin was left alone in the chamber. He drummed his fingers on the console a few times and sighed. The motion made the wound in his side sting.

Yin eased the GrabPack off his shoulders and set it on the floor, then picked a spot near the wall to sit down. He pulled off his shirt and inspected the cold bloodstain, though it was far from the only stain on the shirt. There were dried spatters of toy blood, more than a few tears on the hem and sleeves, plus a copious amount of dust and grime that practically turned the fabric a different color.

He crudely folded it and set it aside, focusing on the wound in his side. It was rather deep but didn't seem to have cut through his ribs. Lines of blood were seeping their way through the waistband of his pants.

It still didn't hurt much. Maybe it was shock and adrenaline from his fight with CatNap. Yin carefully folded his hand over the wound in some effort to keep the blood contained.

His fingers were cold. Or maybe his blood was hot. He leaned back, closed his eyes, and sighed, a deep exhaustion overtaking him all at once.

He felt the blood between his fingers and the chill stone on his back. The gas machine hummed and creaked gently, its parts rumbling like massive creatures that sent a soft vibration through the floor. The air smelled like rust and cement and lingering notes of poppy, along with the iron tang of blood.

Yin's mind wandered away as his brain began to slow down. Awareness started to fade into unintelligible mud.

"Angel?"

Yin snapped awake. DogDay was back. He had his hands on Yin's shoulder and knee, and his eyes were bent with worry.

Yin glanced around, re-noticing his bare torso, the cold wall, and a lot more blood than he remembered.