Utterly Hopeless

"Plutarch," Coin grinned when the man walked into the room

"Plutarch," Coin grinned when the man walked into the room. He  inclined his head toward her politely. "It's a pleasure to meet you at last."

He walked in and kissed the back of her hand.

"The  pleasure is mine, Madam President," he said, and the two shared a moment  of silence before they sat down at a table. In front of them, the image  of Amara waving at the crowd as she spoke with Caesar was being  broadcasted. Plutarch winced when he saw it, but Coin paid it no attention.

"How are the victors settling in?" Coin asked.

"Not as well as we hoped," he admitted. "We only got three out. There were four others in there."

Coin looked down the list she had in front of her. "I only have three listed."

"Enobaria may not have joined our cause, but she is as much a slave to the Capitol as the others."

"And the three that were rescued?"

"Beetee lost the use of his legs, but he has high spirits," he said. "He was released from the hospital this  morning, and he's been talking with your tech developers since the  moment he left the wing. Katniss has needed restraints because she keeps running away. Finnick hasn't left his room and is having such horrible nightmares that your medical team is evaluating his mental state."

Coin nodded thoughtfully. "And our benefactor? I'm looking forward to meeting the Heiress."

Plutarch's frowned deepened. "She elected to stay behind to give the others a chance to escape. She's as much a slave to the Capitol as the other victors."

Coin nodded and tapped her pen against the table. "That's a shame."

"The other victors will want to know if there's a rescue mission underway," Plutarch pointed out. Coin glanced up, surprised, as if the thought of trying to rescue any of them hadn't even crossed her mind.

"They will be liberated with the rest of Panem when we take the Capitol."

"They'll be dead by then," Plutarch protested. "We don't have time."

"Then let's hope that your Mockingjay is as formidable as you and your Heiress have made her out to be. If the victors want to break into the Capitol and steal criminals out from under Snow's nose, they have no hope. If they want us to win this war quickly so that we have a shot at saving their friends, we have work to do."

**

Amara was exhausted. She had suffered through days of interviews and prep for the upcoming concert. It was normally exhausting, but even more so when she had no desire to be doing what she was doing.

She didn't want to perform in a stupid concert to distract the Capitol from the revolution. She wanted to be apart of that revolution with Finnick at her side.