Deterioration

The next time Amara was summoned before Caesar, she let an audible gasp when she saw Peeta

The next time Amara was summoned before Caesar, she let an audible gasp when she saw Peeta. His face was sunken in, and there was no amount of makeup that could hide it. The dark circles under his eyes and around his cheekbones were so clearly visible that she had no idea how people in the Capitol could pretend they didn't notice.

She was positioned behind Peeta once again, but this time, he didn't relax at her touch.

The two started again by talking about the events of the Quell, and Amara's presence was generally unneeded. When the conversation turned toward Katniss and the rebellion, however, she refocused her attention on both of them.

"She was arguably our favorite tribute, and I think that's what we all find most astonishing, is that this girl was adored in the Capitol. And I think for you, Peeta, it must be particularly painful." Caesar said. Amara studied the man in front of her. There were times whether she questioned how much he knew.

Caesar was the media, and he controlled the image of the Capitol. It was his job to know and be prepared for anything that his guests said. Did he know everything about the depth of Katniss' recent betrayal of the Capitol? Or did he just make assumptions like everyone else? Did he know why?

"I wish I could give you this rose, Katniss," Peeta said, toying with the white rose in his hand.

"A sweet gesture for a girl who has inspired such violence," Caesar cooed, and the thought crossed Amara's mind again. Did he know how much violence the Capitol instigated? "You must love her very much to be able to forgive her. I don't think that I could. Unless, of course, Peeta, you think that she's being forced into saying things that she doesn't even understand."

"Yeah. That's exactly what I think," Peeta said, and Amara felt him tense up, as if he were suddenly remembering the lines they were force-feeding him. "I think they're using her to whip up the rebels. I doubt she even knows what's happening, and what's even really at stake."

"Now, Peeta, I doubt that the rebels will ever let her see this, but if they do, what would you say to her? To Katniss Everdeen, the once sweet Katniss Everdeen."

Amara resisted the urge to roll her eyes. As if Katniss was ever sweet in the first place. As if she completely changed her personality the moment she stood for justice.

"I would tell her to think of herself. Don't be a fool, Katniss. I know you never wanted the rebellion. The things that you did in the games were never intended to start all this. The rebels have made you into something that you're not. Something that could destroy all of us. So, if you have any power or any say in what they do or how they use you... please, please urge them to stop this war before its too late, and ask yourself: can you trust the people you're working with? Do you know what they really want?"

Peeta was leaning forward more and more, looking ready to leap through the camera and yell at her if given the opportunity. With a gentle squeeze, he relaxed into her touch once more. He dissolved back into the seat as Caesar wrapped up the interview, and when it was over, he reached up and gently squeezed her hand back.