001. Afraid of Changin'

one afraid of changin'

one
afraid of changin'

HOLLY GILMORE has come to the conclusion that she isn't a massive fan of change. It's not that she isn't used to it - if anything, mundanity is more unknown to her - but she's always irritated by it.

She doesn't want to start at a new school. In fact, she doesn't really want to do anything other than curl up in her bed and rot away the rest of her days. Regrettably, that's not how life works, so now she's staring at the looming stone walls of Chilton Prep.

This is her grandmother's fault. Holly's mother, Lucy, was more than happy to put her in Stars Hollow High, where she'd have at least one familiar face (her cousin) and also a much less challenging curriculum. It was Emily Gilmore that insisted that Holly be put in a private school in Hartford, and Lucy understandably does not have the energy to argue with Emily of all people.

"We're all starting afresh, you know," Lucy tells her weakly as they stand outside. "You're not alone."

Her mother's never sure of herself anymore. Lucy's always been a little too nice for her own good, but since her husband died, she's shrunk in on herself, and become frustratingly agreeable.

Holly finds it interesting how differently her dad's death has affected everyone. Lucy's become a people pleaser. Lorelai and Rory put on brave faces for them all, but Holly's seen both of them wipe their eyes when they think no one's looking. Her grandparents haven't even brought it up.

She simply shrugs at her mom. Her attention is then pulled away from a painfully familiar face getting out of a very nice car.

"Ah, good, you're here!"

Emily Gilmore struts over to them, donning a blouse and not very weather appropriate sunglasses.

"Why, God, why?" Lucy mutters to herself.

"Grandma? What are you doing here?" Holly takes the reins on the conversation while her mom curses the man upstairs.

"Introducing you to Headmaster Charleston!" Emily replies in her usual clipped tone. "I'm very good friends with his wife. I thought it would be a good idea for him to know exactly who he's meeting."

Holly mulls it over. She'd rather step on hot coals than spend five minutes with her grandmother, and the whole nepotism thing is slightly irritating. But if it means that the Headmaster will grill her slightly less in this interview, she'll take the perk while it's there.

Chilton's a rather big school. Her school back home was smaller than this, albeit it was more exclusive. The uniform here is slightly better too - a rather nice shade of blue. She's grateful she took Lorelai up on her offer to hem Holly's skirt as she glances at a girl passing by, whose skirt travels way past the knee.

Emily strides into Headmaster Charleston's office like she owns the place. Charleston himself is about what Holly expects the principal of an elite private school to be; an old man. His office is grand, he has fancy teapots already laid out for them. He stands up when they enter, greeting Emily before moving on to address the two strangers in the room.